From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Master System|
Parker Brothers, Hasbro
|Number of players: 1-10|
This teeny-tiny article needs some work. You can help us by expanding it.
Monopoly is a licensed game based upon the Monopoly board game, and was developed by Nexa and published by Sega for the Sega Master System. Up to 10 players can play in a single game, any of whom can be computer-controlled. The cartridge features a battery back-up RAM, so games can be saved and resumed later.
Strangely, it's probably the only Western-developed title on the system to feature a Sega Mark III logo if booted on a Japanese system, although it's a slightly crude-looking logo in comparison to the original.
Monopoly was the first Master System game to be developed in the US in an attempt to capture the mood of the American public, who at this point were greatly favouring Nintendo's rival console, the NES, over Sega and their Master System. All previous games, despite sometimes being localised, were developed by Sega and other companies within Japan, although ironically the project originally started with Chinese developers at the helm.
Development on Monopoly took about six months - three months in Nexa were brought on-board to "save" the project after initial testing was not considered to be up to Sega's standards. It was also released at least twice in the US - initial print runs (identifiable by incorrect use of a capital "P") contained an Easter egg programmed by Kevin Seghetti, which Sega had Nexa remove shortly after launch.
- Main article: Monopoly/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination
|Master System, SE|
ROM dump status
- ACE, "January 1989" (UK; 1989-xx-xx), page 76
- ACE, "January 1989" (UK; 1989-xx-xx), page 77
- Complete Guide to Consoles, "" (UK; 1989-10-16), page 62
- Complete Guide to Consoles, "Volume IV" (UK; 1990-11-xx), page 101
- Complete Guide to Consoles, "Volume IV" (UK; 1990-11-xx), page 51
- S: The Sega Magazine, "July 1990" (UK; 1990-xx-xx), page 24
- Sega Power, "October 1991" (UK; 1991-09-05), page 58
- Sega Pro, "February 1992" (UK; 1992-01-16), page 19
|Monopoly games for Sega systems/published by Sega|
|Monopoly The Medal (2005) | Monopoly The Medal: 2nd Edition (2008)|