From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Mega-CD|
|Publisher: Core Design, Victor Entertainment (JP)|
|Developer: Core Design|
|Distributor: Time Warner Interactive (US)|
|Peripherals supported: Six Button Control Pad|
|Number of players: 1|
|Official in-game languages: |
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Battlecorps (バトルコープス) is a first person shooter for the Sega Mega-CD. It takes place in giant mechs.
In Battlecorps, players take control over a "Bipedal Attack Machine" (BAM) to liberate a planet from an infected AI system and its army of robots. Typically this involves destroying specified targets or getting to a location without being killed. When all lives are lost, the game ends.
In order to simulate a 3D world, Battlecorps relies heavily on the use of sprite scaling. However, unlike a game such as Doom, the engine rarely draws flat "walls", instead simulating them by placing a series of large sprites in a line. Ceilings are never rendered, though many stages overcome this by taking place exclusively outside. Battlecorps also gives players a degree of control over the Y axis, allowing him or her to attack flying enemies or "ceiling" turrets.
Draw distance is considerably lower than many other first person shooters of the era, and in order to maintain a steady frame rate, the heads-up display comprises of roughly half the screen. Battlecorps also limits itself to a 256x224 screen resolution at all times.
- Programmed / Game Design / Story : Jon Hilliard
- Production Designer/ Game Design / Story / Graphic Artist: Jason Gee
- Music + SF/X: Martin Iveson
- Live Guitar: Anthony Wheeldon
- Production Designer / Game Design / Story / Graphic Artist: Jason Gee
- Game Design / Story / Voices / Creative Manager: Guy Miller
- Produced by: Jeremy Heath-Smith
- Producer: Toshiyuki Nagai
- Director: Gaku Sato
- Assistant: Ryo Misawa, Kanji Ishizeki
- Thanks to: Takeshi Minagawa
- Thanks to: Bob Churchill (Game Evaluation), James Ryman (Cover Design), Lads & Lasses at Core Design...
- Source: In-game credits (JP)
- Main article: Battlecorps/Magazine articles.
also published in:
- (US) #62: "September 1994" (1994-xx-xx)
also published in:
- (US) #5: "November 1994" (1994-xx-xx)
|Sega Retro Average|
ROM dump status
- Game Players, "Vol. 7 No. 10 October 1994" (US; 1994-xx-xx), page 108
- GamePro, "March 1994" (US; 1994-xx-xx), page 172
- Mega, "August 1994" (UK; 1994-07-21), page 13
- Computer & Video Games, "October 1994" (UK; 1994-09-15), page 82
- Electronic Gaming Monthly, "September 1994" (US; 1994-xx-xx), page 107
- EGM², "November 1994" (US; 1994-xx-xx), page 75
- Beep! MegaDrive, "October 1994" (JP; 1994-09-08), page 19 (21)
- Sega Saturn Magazine, "September 1995" (JP; 1995-08-08), page 84 (86)
- Consoles +, "Juillet/Août 1994" (FR; 1994-xx-xx), page 147
- Computer & Video Games, "August 1994" (UK; 1994-07-15), page 65
- Computer & Video Games, "September 1994" (UK; 1994-08-15), page 53
- Edge, "August 1994" (UK; 1994-06-30), page 68/69 (68)
- Mean Machines Sega, "August 1994" (UK; 1994-06-30), page 60-63 (60)
- Mega, "August 1994" (UK; 1994-07-21), page 54-57 (54)
- Next Generation, "Premiere Issue 1995" (US; 1994-12-08), page 98 (104)
- Player One, "Juillet/Août 1994" (FR; 1994-xx-xx), page 102/103 (98)
- VideoGames, "November 1994" (US; 1994-xx-xx), page 101