Dinosaurs for Hire
From Sega Retro
|Dinosaurs for Hire|
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive|
|Developer: Sega Interactive|
|Sound driver: GEMS|
|Number of players: 1-2|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
It is a side-scrolling action/platforming game similar to Contra but involving a group of dinosaurs who fight crime. The player can play as a tyrannosaurus rex named Archie, a triceratops named Lorenzo or a stegosaurus named Reese. Each has a gun which can be upgraded Contra-style (shoot with ), a close-up attack (: Archie beats enemies with his gun, Lorenzo with his horns, and Reese with his tail), and a traditional jump (, and no matter how you press it you cannot control the intensity of the jump).
|Trivia sections are bad|
Try and incorporate this information into the main article. See the manual of style to find out why.
Some curious facts about the game:
In the game's plot, is revealed that dinosaur Lorenzo likes Chun-Li.This was a reference to Street Fighter II, and amazingly it got past Sega's legal department.
Archie the Dinosaur's ambition is to wrestle Shadow Yammoto. This was a reference to programmers next game Eternal Champions.
According to Cyranno the Dinosaur, the Mega Minotaur's real name is Hoyt. This was a tribute by programmer Steven Lashower to actor Hoyt Pollard who played the bald, inbred Banjo Boy in the movie Deliverance.
The cartridge image contains the message "E is coming!" - a reference to an Elvis Presley game that the team was designing on the side.
- Developed By: Sega Interactive Development Division
- Programmers: John 'Buck' Kuwaye, Steven 'Ski Master' Lashower, Jack 'Le Saboteur' Loh, David 'Mac Man' Chaplin, Mike 'Mr. H-Blank' Terlecki
- LOBSTER Engine Programming: Christopher 'Engine Meister' Warner, Robert 'Elvis is King' Morgan
- Artists: Dave 'The Sprite Master' Russ, Art 'The Background God' Wong, Albert 'Char Master' Co, Todd 'Blood Worm' Tomlinson, Doug 'Dig Dug' Nishimura, Barbara Meyers
- Technical Support: Ala 'Harbinger of Doom' Diaz
- Project Manager: Mark 'Design-on-the-Fly' Nausha
- Music: Paul 'Moto' Gadbois, Dave 'Chick-a-Baugh' Delia
- Lead Tester: Terry 'Tex-T-Bone' Banks
- Testers: Rey 'Multitasker' Alferez, Bill 'Dr. Mastermind' Person, Kurt 'Tindle-Fly' Tindle, Crisi Albertson, Heather Meigs, Lisa Stuart, Maria Tuzzo, Greg Becksted, Joe Cain, Harry Chavez, Marc Dawson, Dave Forster, Roman Greco, Keith Higashihara, Jason Kuo, Tony Lynch, John Russell, Siegie Stangenberg, Paul Walker, Jeff Todd, Blair Bullock, Richie Hideshima, William Emery, Atom Ellis, Glen Cureton, Ivan Fong, Vasily Lewis, Srini Chandra, Tim Spengler, Wesley Gittens
- Dinosaurs for Hire Created By: Tom Mason
- Producer: Stu Kosoy
- Product Manager: Jamie Wojick
- Program Code/Design (C) 1993 Sega
- All Rights Reserved
- Source: In-game credits
- Main article: Dinosaurs for Hire/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
ROM dump status
- GamePro, "October 1993" (US; 1993-xx-xx), page 74
- GamePro, "April 1993" (US; 1993-xx-xx), page 110
- http://www.geocities.com:80/SoHo/1354/dinos.htm (archived: 2000-01-08 07:50)
- Sega Visions, "February/March 1994" (US; 199x-xx-xx), page 97
- GamePro, "October 1993" (US; 1993-xx-xx), page 70 (74)
- Mean Machines Sega, "January 1994" (UK; 1993-11-30), page 78-80 (78)
|Dinosaurs for Hire|