Golden Axe Warrior
From Sega Retro
|Golden Axe Warrior|
|System(s): Sega Master System|
|Developer: Sega CS|
|Genre: Adventure Role-Playing|
|Number of players: 1|
The game features a top-down gameplay, with labyrinths that must be passed to gain the crystals, towns with various buildings and shops, and wilderness areas, where enemies must be defeated by punching, sword slashing or arrow throwing (much like in Gain Ground), in order to proceed.
Golden Axe Warrior is also available as an unlockable in Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection.
Death Adder, a powerful ruler, has kidnapped a special crystal guardian. He has taken the golden axe and the nine crystals. Your task isn't merely to retrieve the nine crystals, however. You must try to learn as much magic as possible, destroy all of Death Adder's minions, and access the final labyrinth containing Death Adder.
You are the Golden Axe character Ax Battler, and your default weapon is a short range sword (which can increase in range), though others can be acquired during the game. is used to show the status screen and cancel options; performs an action depending on what you're holding (weapon, Magic Scroll or a usable item) and confirms options.
Like in other RPGs (such as Phantasy Star), you can save your game via certain buildings located at the start of the wilderness/labyrinth areas. You can also buy shields, health, first aid kits, armour or pay someone to teach you magic. Money is earned when tasks are finished, or strong enemies are killed.
- Source: In-game credits
- Main article: Golden Axe Warrior/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
ROM dump status
- File:GoldenAxeWarrior SMS EU Box.jpg
- GamePro, "May 1991" (US; 1991-xx-xx), page 42
- Raze, "September 1991" (UK; 1991-07-25), page 76
- Sega Power, "June 1991" (UK; 1991-05-02), page 25
- Ação Games, "Julho 1991" (BR; 1991-07-xx), page 42/43 (42)
- Computer & Video Games, "May 1991" (UK; 1991-04-14), page 74
- Mean Machines: The Essential Sega Guide, "" (UK; 1993-11-18), page 137
- GamePro, "May 1991" (US; 1991-xx-xx), page 40 (42)
- Joystick, "Juin 1991" (FR; 1991-0x-xx), page 128
- Mean Machines, "April 1991" (UK; 1991-04-01), page 72/73 (72)
- Player One, "Septembre 1991" (FR; 1991-xx-xx), page 54/55 (54)
- Sega Power, "June 1991" (UK; 1991-05-02), page 24/25 (24)
- Sega Power, "October 1991" (UK; 1991-09-05), page 57
- Sega Pro, "Christmas 1991" (UK; 1991-12-12), page 41
- Video Games, "2/91" (DE; 1991-06-07), page 76/77 (72)
|Golden Axe series of games|
|Golden Axe (1989) | Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder (1992) | Golden Axe: The Duel (1994) | Golden Axe (slot machine) (2010)|
|Golden Axe (1989) | Golden Axe II (1991) | Golden Axe III (1993)|
|Golden Axe (1989) | Golden Axe Warrior (1991)|
|Golden Axe (1990)|
|Electronic Golden Axe (1990)|
|Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe (1991)|
|Golden Axe: The Duel (1995)|
|Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 5: Golden Axe (2003)|
|Golden Axe: Beast Rider (2008)|
|Golden Axe (2009) | Golden Axe (2017)|
|Sega Vintage Collection: Golden Axe (2012)|
|Golden Axed: A Cancelled Prototype (2020)|
|Golden Axe related media|
|Golden Axe The Music (2008) | Golden Axe I & II (2016)|
|Tatsujin & Golden Axe Attack Manual Book (1990) | Golden Axe (1992) | Golden Axe: Beast Rider Official Strategy Guide (2008) | The Art of Golden Axe: Beast Rider (2008)|