Golden Axe II
From Sega Retro
|Golden Axe II|
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive, Virtual Console, iOS, Steam|
|Developer: Sega CS|
|Number of players: 1-2|
Golden Axe II (ゴールデンアックスII) is a 1991 beat-em-up and the direct sequel to the critically acclaimed Golden Axe. Unlike that game, Golden Axe II is a Sega Mega Drive exclusive, though it has since been re-released as part of numerous Mega Drive compilations. The game features Ax-Battler, Tyris-Flare, and Gilius Thunderhead once again, as they face the new foe "Dark Guld".
It is extremely similar to the previous game, with various changes. For this reason, Golden Axe II has received mixed reviews from critics; many claim the game is merely a re-hash of the previous entry in the series, and that very little is added to the core gameplay. Though some have praised the graphics and music, others have criticised the game's sound effects which are said to detract from the atmosphere of the game.
- 1 Gameplay
- 2 History
- 3 Versions
- 4 Production credits
- 5 Digital manuals
- 6 Magazine articles
- 7 Promotional material
- 8 Artwork
- 9 Physical scans
- 10 Technical information
- 11 External links
- 12 References
is used for attacking and for jumping, just like in the prequel. Pushing + together is now used to perform an all-around-attack rather than a backwards focused attack. Double tapping a direction makes the character run, pushing while running results in a charge attack. is used to cast magic. This consumes magic books (replacing potions from the prequel) which have to be collected first. Magic books are dropped by wizards. The strength of the magic attack is determined by the time the button is held down, but this can be changed in the options screen.
Various game balance related changes have been made. Enemies could be trapped in endless charge attacks loops in the prequel. This is not possible anymore as two consecutive charge attacks trigger a short invincibility window. The previously exploitable jumping attacks have also been tone down in strength, certain enemy types such as lizardmen and claw wielding enemies can also effectively defend against these attacks.
When playing on the lowest difficulty setting, the game ends prematurely. The final boss can only be faced when playing on normal or above. The highest difficulty setting adds new enemies to increase challenge.
At the end of the game, score and a rank is awarded based on the number of enemies defeated and lives lost.
The Duel mode from the original Golden Axe makes a return. Predetermined enemies have to be defeated in an arena.
This game behaves strangely when played with the 6 button controller: Movements are mapped to ,, and . Holding down while the game is starting removes this problem. Strangely enough, emulators don't seem to have such problem.
All versions of the ROM are identical. The ROM contains no region specific data and can be played on any system
The game's sprites were drawn using a touchpad drawing tablet. The tablet used positional sensor technology developed by Sega. The same technology was used as a controller interface for the earlier 1987 arcade game World Derby and the later Sega Pico console.
On the Mega Drive, Golden Axe II was followed by Golden Axe III.
Sonic the Comic included few "The Legend of Golden Axe" comic strips the plot of which take place after Golden Axe II, the first story arc dealing with Dark Guld ressurection. The story arcs are: "Citadel of Dead Souls" (issue #1 to issue #6) and "Plague of Serpents" (#13 to #18).
- Main article: Golden Axe II/Changelog.
- Source: In-game credits
- Main article: Golden Axe II/Magazine articles.
Mega Drive version
|Sega Retro Average|
| Based on|
|Mega Drive, EU|
|Mega Drive, AU|
|Mega Drive, AU (Sega Gold Collection)|
Mega Play version
ROM dump status
- Sega of Japan Virtual Console pages: Mega Drive
- Golden Axe II on iTunes: US, JP (offline)
- Golden Axe II on Steam
- File:GamePro US 030.pdf, page 57
- File:CVG UK 121.pdf, page 48
- File:Supergame BR 07.pdf, page 26
- http://vc.sega.jp:80/vc_axe2/ (archived: 2007-06-10 16:58)
- https://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/vc/software/03.html (archived: 2018-03-06 00:26)
- http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/2O0nVpg3PXZGJdQq-r-LO0xzbvyQ13T0 (archived: 2010-11-23 02:20)
- http://www.nintendolife.com/games/megadrive/golden_axe_ii (archived: 2017-07-05 10:02)
- http://steamdb.info/app/71112/ (archived: 2013-05-22 20:30)
- https://steamdb.info/app/71112/ (archived: 2017-05-22 05:53)
- http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/golden-axe-2/id431760778?mt=8 (archived: 2011-04-26 21:39)
- http://blogs.sega.com/2011/04/21/golden-axe-2-streets-of-rage-2-now-at-the-app-store/ (archived: 2017-07-07 00:46)
- http://blogs.sega.com/2011/10/25/prices-so-low-theyre-scary/ (archived: 2017-08-29 16:30)
- The History of Sega Console Hardware: Hideki Sato – 1998 Developer Interview
- http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/18/8622645/sega-pulls-games-from-itunes-app-store-google-play (archived: 2017-11-08 17:39)
- http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/golden-axe-2/id431760778?mt=8 (archived: 2014-04-20 00:40)
- File:ACE UK 54.pdf, page 67
- File:BeepMD_JP_1992-01.pdf, page 82
- File:SSM_JP_19950901_1995-09.pdf, page 86
- File:GamePro US 030.pdf, page 56
- File:Generation4 FR 040.pdf, page 134
- File:HobbyConsolas ES 006.pdf, page 46
- File:Joystick FR 022.pdf, page 160
- File:MDAG UK 03.pdf, page 79
- File:MeanMachines UK 15.pdf, page 144
- File:PlayerOne FR 016.pdf, page 56
- File:PlayTime DE 1992-03.pdf, page 86
- File:SegaPro UK 04.pdf, page 52
- File:SegaForceMega UK 01.pdf, page 89
- File:SegaForce UK 02.pdf, page 68
- File:VideoGames DE 1992-01.pdf, page 31
|Golden Axe II|
|Golden Axe series of games|
|Golden Axe (1989) | Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder (1992) | Golden Axe: The Duel (1994) | Golden Axe (slot machine) (2010)|
|Golden Axe (1989) | Golden Axe II (1991) | Golden Axe III (1993)|
|Golden Axe (1989) | Golden Axe Warrior (1991)|
|Golden Axe (1990)|
|Electronic Golden Axe (1990)|
|Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe (1991)|
|Golden Axe: The Duel (1995)|
|Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 5: Golden Axe (2003)|
|Golden Axe: Beast Rider (2008)|
|Sega Vintage Collection: Golden Axe (2012)|
|Golden Axe related media|
|Golden Axe The Music (2008) | Golden Axe I & II (2016)|
|Tatsujin & Golden Axe Attack Manual Book (1990) | Golden Axe (1992) | Golden Axe: Beast Rider Official Strategy Guide (2008) | The Art of Golden Axe: Beast Rider (2008)|