Megalopolis: Tokyo City Battle
From Sega Retro
|Megalopolis: Tokyo City Battle|
|Developer: Sega AM3|
|Number of players: 1-8|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Megalopolis: Tokyo City Battle is a Sega AS-1 science fiction ride film developed by Sega AM3 and installed in the company’s flagship arcade venues such as Joypolis and SegaWorld. Released in 1993, it is notable for being Tetsuya Mizuguchi's first project for Sega.
Set in the year 2154 AD, Brute Bombalez, the leader of an urban eco-terrorist gang called the 'Red Dragons', has escaped the maximum security prison Megalopolis. As Tokyo police officers, riders fly through the neon cityscape and must capture Bombalez before he can wreak his vengeance on innocent citizens.
Megalopolis: Tokyo City Battle debuted in 1993 at SIGGRAPH's Electronic Theater.
Footage from Megalopolis was re-used for the opening and ending sequences of the Japanese Sega Video Magazine series, as well as the 1994 CGI art film The Gate to the Mind's Eye, where it received a new backing soundtrack by Thomas Dolby.
A port of Megalopolis was created for the Sega 32X, but never released. Given the non-interactive nature of the film, it is likely that this version was intended to be technical demo showcasing the hardware’s graphics capabilities.
- Art Direction: Yasuo Fujita
- Co-Art Direction/Vehicle Modelling: Buildup Co., Ltd.
- Production Assistant: Koichi Ozaki
- Music/Sound Design: Mitchell Osias
- Sound Engineer: Koichi Namiki, Takenobu Mitsuyoshi
- Motion Engineer: Hideaki Doi
- Voice: Chikako Otsuka, Tetsuya Iwanaga, Toshiyuki Morikawa
- Special Thanks to Shinji Aramaki, Mamoru Ito, Koichi Ohata, Atsuki Sato, Akihiro Tsuchiya, Rei Yumeno, Jun'ya Okabe
- Starring in Preshow: Michael Jackson (as Megalopolice Commander)
- Copyright © 1993 by SEGA Enterprises, Ltd.
- Beep! MegaDrive, "October 1994" (JP; 1994-09-08), page 96
- http://www.sega.co.jp/sega/atp/atc/as-1.html (Wayback Machine: 1996-12-24 11:02)
- http://gaming.chronomagister.com/fanums/sws/archived/segaworld/attractions/as1.html (Wayback Machine: 2012-03-21 16:05)
- https://twitter.com/v_SUPERFLY_v/status/1243727857118875648 (Wayback Machine: 2020-03-28 04:13)