From Sega Retro
|Place of birth: Hokkaido, Japan|
|Date of birth: 1965-05-22 (age 55)|
|Company(ies): Sega of Japan|
|Role(s): Producer, Executive|
|Education: Nihon University|
Tetsuya Mizuguchi (水口 哲也) was born in Hokkaido, Japan, in 1965. He was educated at Nihon University's Faculty of Arts and joined Sega in 1990. His first work was Megalopolis, a Japanese motion ride with computer graphics. He then turned his attention to racing simulations, and in 1995 created the arcade game Sega Rally Championship. Mizuguchi is also known for his work on Manx TT Super Bike, Rez, and Space Channel 5.
On April 9, 2000, Sega's division Sega Software R&D Dept. 9 became United Game Artists (UGA). Mizuguchi was President and Chief Operating Officer of the studio. They produced Space Channel 5 and Rez, which were praised among gaming communities as fresh and innovative titles.
In September of 2003, Sega performed a company-wide reorganization of staff. This reorganization dissolved United Game Artists, placing its members within Sonic Team.
On October 7, 2003, Mizuguchi was a guest on "Tokyo Game Lounge", a webcast radio program produced in Tokyo. During the webcast, he announced his retirement from Sega. An article by Hirohiko Niizumi/Tor Thorsen for GameSpot claims that the restructuring prompted Mizuguchi to leave the company.
His official announcement of departure from Sega included this quote:
Games are a very unique medium. They exist beyond language, beyond culture, and people are fascinated by games. I don't know how long I will live, but I want to learn more about games — and there is more to learn about creating better games.
- Iri-san (Dreamcast; 9999) — Producer
- Megalopolis: Tokyo City Battle (Arcade; 9999) — Director
- Sega Rally Championship (Model 2; 1995) — Produced by
- Sega Rally Championship (Saturn; 1995) — Produced by
- Sega Rally Championship (Saturn; 1995) — Written by
- Sega Rally Championship (Windows PC; 9999) — Produced by
- Sega Rally Championship (PlayStation 2; 2006) — Produced by
- Manx TT Super Bike (Model 2; 1995) — Producer
- Sega Touring Car Championship (Model 2; 1996) — Produced by
- Sega Touring Car Championship (Saturn; 1997) — Executive Producers
- Sega Touring Car Championship (Windows PC; 9999) — Executive Producers
- Star Wars Trilogy Arcade (Model 3; 1998) — Project Organizer
- Space Channel 5 (Dreamcast; 1999) — Producer
- Space Channel 5 (PlayStation 2; 2002) — Producer
- Rez (Dreamcast; 2001) — Producer
- Rez (Xbox 360; 2008) — Producer
- Space Channel 5: Part 2 (Dreamcast; 2002) — Producer
- Space Channel 5: Part 2 (PlayStation 2; 2002) — Producer
- My Dear Friend, Rally — Lyrics (with Kenneth Ibrahim)
- Main article: Tetsuya Mizuguchi/Magazine articles.
- Personal weblog