Saturn Floppy Drive
From Sega Retro
|Saturn Floppy Drive|
|Made for: Sega Saturn|
The Saturn Floppy Disk Drive (Saturn FDD) peripheral is an add-on to the Sega Saturn console, allowing for data to be saved to commercially-available 3.5-inch floppy disks (MF-2HD). It was only released in Japan, debuting on July 27, 1996, for ¥9,800.
The floppy disk drive connects to the Saturn using the console's rear extension communication terminal, however requires its own AC adaptor to function. Also included in the package is a FDD Operator CD-ROM, allowing users to manage data. Primarily the Saturn FDD acts as a substitute for the console's internal save memory, with a floppy disk offering 50 times more storage for save games or online data.
The drive appears to have been planned from the beginning of the Saturn's lifespan, being documented within Saturn development kits and supported through libraries in the Saturn's BIOS, however the peripheral was not released to the Japanese public until mid-1996, and was not widely supported by commercial software. Furthermore Sega appears to have downplayed the Saturn FDD's existence in the later years of the system, omitting it from lists of peripherals. It is now very rare to find working units.
Only a handful of games can communicate directly with the Saturn FDD, such as Panzer Dragoon Saga and Dezaemon 2's shooter construction kit.
External storage was also offered by Sega in the form of Saturn Backup Memory cartridges, which although can't hold as much data (512kB vs. 1.44MB) and may have worked out as being more expensive in the long-run, ultimately proved more popular.
- Crusader: No Remorse
- Dezaemon 2
- Eiyuu Shigan: Gal ACT Heroism
- Game Basic for Sega Saturn
- Madden NFL 97
- Midway Presents Arcade's Greatest Hits
- Midway Presents Arcade's Greatest Hits: The Atari Collection 1 (US and EU versions)
- Mouri Motonari: Chikai no Sanshi
- NBA Action
- NBA Live 97
- NHL All-Star Hockey
- Pad Nifty
- Pad Nifty 1.1 & Habitat II
- Panzer Dragoon Saga (JP, US and EU versions)
- Sangokushi Koumeiden
- Sega Saturn-you Word Processor Set
- Shockwave Assault
ROM dump status
|4,976,832||1996-06-20||CD-ROM (JP)||HSS-0128 V1.003|
|1. [data track]|
|2. CD Warning message (00:20)|
This game has extra content which can be viewed when accessing the disc on a PC.
|Folder / File||Type||Size||description|
|BKUP_ABS.TXT||TXT (Abstract)||398||About this game.|
|BKUP_BIB.TXT||TXT (Bibliographiced)||20||No message.|
- Sega of Japan catalogue pages (Japanese): Saturn
- Secrets of the Floppy Disk Drive - In-depth article about the peripheral and game compatibility.
- ↑ http://sega.jp/fb/segahard/ss/floppy.html (Wayback Machine: 2013-02-10 00:47)
- ↑ http://sega.jp/fb/segahard/ss/floppy.html (Wayback Machine)