From Sega Retro
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Sega Forever is a service offered by Sega and developed by Sega Networks Inc. for Android and iOS devices, giving users access to versions of Sega games originally released for Sega's home consoles; the SG-1000, Sega Master System, Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn and Sega Dreamcast.
By default, all games are free-to-play but are ad-supported, however a one-time payment for each individual game can disable the adverts in that game. All games are compatible with bluetooth controllers as well as touch controls.
For the most part, older games (i.e. pre-Sega Saturn) are emulated using a Unity-based emulator (having reportedly failed to reach an agreement with the team behind RetroArch on licensing grounds), while newer games are ported directly to the hardware. This is not true for all cases, however - the enhanced port of Sonic the Hedgehog from 2013 is featured instead of an emulated version.
Upon launch, Sega's chosen emulator for Mega Drive games was widely panned on performance grounds, failing to hit 60FPS even on modest hardware, despite the games in question being more than 25 years old at the time.
List of games
- Official website
- Sega Forever on Instagram
- Sega Forever on Twitter
- Sega Forever on Facebook
- Sega Forever on Youtube
- http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-21-sega-releases-classic-games-on-mobile-for-free-but-at-what-cost (archived: 2018-06-24 04:00)
- https://twitter.com/segaforever/status/877511700823625731?lang=en (archived: 2018-05-18 23:06)
- https:/twitter.com/SEGAForever/status/885206776697802753 (archived: 2018-05-18 22:56)
- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-revenge-of-shinobi/id1155027141?mt=8 (archived: 2017-08-21 18:59)
- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sega.ristar (archived: 2017-08-21 19:09)
- https://twitter.com/SEGAForever/status/903241277168287744 (archived: 2018-05-18 21:03)
- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sega.SpaceHarrierII (archived: 2017-09-17 22:14)
- https://twitter.com/SEGAForever/status/911270644012040192 (archived: 2017-09-22 17:55)
- https://twitter.com/SEGAForever/status/918582827955957760 (archived: 2018-05-18 22:36)
- https:/twitter.com/SEGAForever/status/923569965764136960 (archived: 2018-05-18 20:16)
- https:/twitter.com/SEGAForever/status/928306360705605633 (archived: 2018-05-18 20:48)
- https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/933065376383901696 (archived: 2018-05-18 22:43)
- https:/twitter.com/SEGAForever/status/938798889293045760 (archived: 2018-05-18 22:05)
- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sega.gunstar.classic (archived: 2017-12-22 18:47)
- https:/twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/959136955337293824 (archived: 2018-05-18 23:16)
- https://twitter.com/SEGAForever/status/985973235949932544 (archived: 2018-09-19 23:26)
- https://twitter.com/SEGAForever/status/997123000028794881 (archived: 2018-05-18 23:08)
- https://twitter.com/segaforever/status/1009798593622859777 (archived: 2018-10-12 22:53)
- https://twitter.com/SEGAForever/status/1025045975134609408 (archived: 2018-08-21 20:41)
- https://twitter.com/SEGAForever/status/1042794448051167232 (archived: 2018-09-30 01:38)
- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/golden-axe/id319600514?mt=8 (archived: 2019-04-13 00:04)
- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/phantasy-star-ii/id382953129?mt=8 (archived: 2019-04-20 15:56)