Shining in the Darkness
From Sega Retro
|Shining in the Darkness|
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive, Virtual Console, Steam|
|Number of players: 1|
| Official in-game languages: |
Shining in the Darkness, called Shining and the Darkness (シャイニング＆ザ・ダクネス) in Japan, is a 1991 game by Sega and Climax Entertainment for the Sega Mega Drive. It is the first game in Sega's Shining series — but unlike most of the rest of the franchise, this one is a 3D dungeon-crawler RPG.
You are the son of Mortred, a warrior who was last seen near a dungeon known as the Labyrinth in the kingdom of Thornwood with the Princess Jessa. King Drake summons you to go find her, but just as that is about to happen, the evil Dark Sol appears and offers a ransom — Mortred and the Princess for the kingdom. It is now up to you to save the two and defeat Dark Sol before he destroys King Drake instead...
The game takes place in three areas — the castle (where you talk to the King and his servants), the town (where you can buy weapons, armor, and items, save your game and heal in the church, and talk to townsfolk), and the Labyrinth (the actual dungeon). In the castle, towns, and buildings, use and to navigate and to interact.
The Labyrinth is (appropriately) a 3D maze. moves forward, and turn, and moves backward. and open a menu at the bottom of the screen where you can do mundane things to the members of your party. Enemy encounters happen randomly throughout the Labyrinth — the same menu is used to attack. Should you die in battle, you will be taken back to the church in the town, losing half your collected gold in the process.
Shining in the Darkness was a joint venture developed by Sega's newly founded Sonic Co. and a team at Climax Entertainment, headded by Hiroyuki Takahashi, a rising stars in the world of RPG development (Takahashi had previously been involved in Enix's popular Dragon Quest series, so were seen as a good fit for the project). However, corporate reasoning gave Shining and the Darkness a minimal development budget, and a small four-man team, meaning Climax were responsible for the bulk of the game's development.
Nevertheless Shining in the Darkness was a success for the company, and led to other entries in the Shining franchise, most notably the next game, Shining Force.
|Language||Localised Name||English Translation|
|English||Shining in the Darkness||Shining in the Darkness|
|English (US)||Shining in the Darkness||Shining in the Darkness|
|Japanese||シャイニング＆ザ・ダクネス||Shining and the Darkness|
- Written and Produced by: Hiroyuki Takahashi
- Special Effects: Yasuhiro Taguchi
- Assistant Director: Yoshinori Tagawa, Bob Timbello
- Artwork and Design: Hidehiro Yoshida
- Outline and Storyboards: Yoshitaka Tamaki
- Music: Masahiko Yoshimura
- Visual Support: Ryutaro Ishimatsu
- Technical Support: Haruki Kodera
- Director: Kan Naitoh
- Special Thanks: Media Mixture, Mad Cap
- Executive Producer: Sega Enterprises
- Created by: Climax
- Main article: Shining in the Darkness/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
| Based on|
|Mega Drive, US|
- Sega of Japan Virtual Console pages: Mega Drive
- Nintendo catalogue pages: US, UK
- Shining in the Darkness on Steam
- File:CGW US 091.pdf, page 22
- File:SegaPro UK 01.pdf, page 9
- File:CVG UK 120.pdf, page 83
- http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/yCO37nvA4Ck5A7m_G3GEmGBstzt3YuTZ (archived: 2010-11-23 02:24)
- http://www.nintendolife.com/games/megadrive/shining_in_the_darkness (archived: 2017-10-31 18:34)
- https://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/vc/software/03.html (archived: 2018-03-06 00:26)
- http://vc.sega.jp:80/vc_shiningdarkness/ (archived: 2007-06-10 16:58)
- http://steamdb.info/app/71161/ (archived: 2013-05-22 20:00)
- https://steamdb.info/app/71161/ (archived: 2017-05-25 05:33)
- File:Megadrive Fan 1991-03.pdf, page 2
- File:Megadrive Fan 1991-04.pdf, page 2
- File:BeepMD_JP_1991-04.pdf, page 31
- File:SSM_JP_19950901_1995-09.pdf, page 85
- File:Joystick FR 022.pdf, page 121
- File:MegaTech UK 01.pdf, page 80
- File:MeanMachines UK 14.pdf, page 112
- File:PlayerOne FR 015.pdf, page 58
- File:SegaPower UK 46.pdf, page 98
- File:SegaPro UK 01.pdf, page 58
- File:SegaPro UK 06.pdf, page 28
- File:SegaForce UK 01.pdf, page 52
|Shining in the Darkness|