From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive|
|Original system(s): Arcade boards|
|Sound driver: Konami/Hyperstone Heist|
|Number of players: 1-2|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Sunset Riders is a 1991 arcade run-and-gun by Konami, ported to the Sega Mega Drive and SNES in 1992 and released only in the US and Europe in 1993. This port was heavily remixed in terms of stage layout. The small rom size likely made a true to source arcade port impossible.
You play as one of two (reduced from four in the arcade version) American Old West bounty hunters, Billy and Cormano, who seek rewards for catching bandits and saving girls. Billy is armed with a peacemaker and Cormano with a shotgun that fires rather large shots; is used for stationary fire and is used to fire and walk at the same time, and both can collect various weapon upgrades along the way.
Aiming is done in the traditional Konami fashion (hold D-pad buttons diagonally to move while firing diagonally, hold to shoot straight up, hold and to shoot straight ahead while moving, or hold to shoot straight ahead while crouching). jumps; you can latch on to ledges and climb up, pressing + to get back down. + and either or slides. Score is measured as currency; each gold coin is worth $200, while larger red coins with dollar signs on them are worth $2000. You will lose $1000 for dying, and you die with one or two hits.
Similar to often used practise in arcades, the game punishes players who stay in same spot for far too long, as the bird will fly on top of the screen and then swoop down at you. You can jump over it.
Note that the guns are removed from the PAL box. This is also done on the SNES PAL version. A case of the Sega Europe censorship and strict German laws probably.
The game supports multiplayer for 2 players, which is less than on Arcade version, on same screen both in cooperative mode and competitive one.
To play competitive mode, just select "Versus" mode. The game will be played in few rounds, arenas changing slightly. Each player has a health bar and much lower rate of fire than in normal game, while a bird periodically coming in to drop extra items. Players have to shoot each other down in this mode.
To play cooperative mode you can either select "2 Players" mode or start the "1 Player" game and press on controller of the second player. Though the first method is preferable, as it doesn't take away a continue point. There is no friendly fire and continue points are shared.
However, due to a bug, if both players have Six Button Control Pad then "Versus" and "2 Players" modes will not be selectable, despite being highlighted in menu. Another player can still join during "1 Player" mode play. Hold button when booting up the system to switch to 3 button mode and fix this issue.
- Main article: Sunset Riders/Magazine articles.
- Main article: Sunset Riders/Promotional material.
|Sega Retro Average|
|Mega Drive, SE (rental)|
- GamePro, "November 1992" (US; 1992-xx-xx), page 199
- GamesMaster, "April 1993" (UK; 1993-03-18), page 52
- MegaTech, "March 1993" (UK; 1993-02-20), page 15
- Sega Force, "July 1993" (UK; 1993-05-27), page 72
- 1700 igr dlya Sega, "" (RU; 2003-xx-xx), page 229
- Consoles +, "Avril 1993" (FR; 1993-0x-xx), page 112
- Cool Gamer, "9" (RU; 2002-10-13), page 209
- Entsiklopediya luchshikh igr Sega. Vypusk 1, "" (RU; 1999-xx-xx), page 362
- Entsiklopediya luchshikh igr Sega. Vypusk 3, "" (RU; 2000-xx-xx), page 263
- Mean Machines: The Essential Sega Guide, "" (UK; 1993-11-18), page 99
- GameFan, "Volume 1, Issue 2: December 1992" (US; 1992-xx-xx), page 8
- Game Power, "Maggio 1993" (IT; 1993-0x-xx), page 58
- GamePro, "February 1993" (US; 1993-xx-xx), page 52
- Game Informer, "January/February 1993" (US; 199x-xx-xx), page 6
- Joypad, "Avril 1993" (FR; 1993-0x-xx), page 64
- Sega Mega Drive Advanced Gaming, "May 1993" (UK; 1993-xx-xx), page 62
- Mega, "May 1993" (UK; 1993-04-15), page 44
- Mega Action, "June 1993" (UK; 1993-05-20), page 38
- Mega Force, "Avril 1993" (FR; 1993-0x-xx), page 98
- Mega Fun, "02/93" (DE; 1993-0x-xx), page 39
- MegaTech, "April 1993" (UK; 1993-03-20), page 38
- Mean Machines Sega, "April 1993" (UK; 1993-03-26), page 68
- Player One, "Avril/Mai 1993" (FR; 1993-04-10), page 98
- Play Time, "5/93" (DE; 1993-04-07), page 103
- Power Play, "3/93" (DE; 1993-02-10), page 103
- Sega Power, "May 1993" (UK; 1993-04-01), page 42
- Sega Pro, "April 1993" (UK; 1993-03-11), page 24
- Sega Zone, "April 1993" (UK; 1993-03-11), page 36
- Sega Force, "July 1993" (UK; 1993-05-27), page 70
- Sega Mega Drive Review, "1" (RU; 1995-04-03), page 155
- Todo Sega, "Abril 1993" (ES; 1993-03-15), page 50
- Tricks 16 bit, "Tricks Sega Gold 800 igr" (RU; 1998-xx-xx), page 190
- VideoGames & Computer Entertainment, "January 1993" (US; 199x-xx-xx), page 67