Welcome to Sega Retro, a project from the people behind Sonic Retro. We aim to cover everything possible about Sega from the 1940s to today. We currently are working on 28,388 articles and have many more that are requested to be worked on.
While this wiki is designed to help the community by providing information, it is also dependent on the community to be updated. Anyone with an account may edit the wiki. As you feel more comfortable with the site, please feel free to make any changes or additions that you feel necessary.
List of abbreviations:
- This edit created a new page (also see list of new pages)
- This is a minor edit
- This edit was performed by a bot
- The page size changed by this number of bytes
22 January 2022
We have more than 7,500 Sega games
documented, from the slot machines of old to the cutting-edge titles of today. Every known release from every region of the world, both licensed and unlicensed
, for computers
, consoles, handhelds
and everything in between.
, covers, manuals, media and promotional material
, as well as internal documents you were never meant to see
; Sega Retro has a huge library of high quality scans dating back to 1945
and the database grows every day.
Audio and video
Hundreds of singles and albums, audiobooks, television broadcasts and even a few stage shows, not to mention the company's fondness for karaoke and its two house bands.
Including people, companies, history, toys, merchandise, secrets, venues, events, technical information, interviews... and Michael Jackson.
On this day, January 22...
January 22 (
- 1993 - Streets of Rage 2 is released for the Sega Mega Drive in Europe.
- 1997 - Spot Goes to Hollywood is released for the Sega Saturn in North America.
- 1998 - The games Machi, Sentimental Graffiti, Solo Crisis, and Wizardry Nemesis are released for the Sega Saturn in Japan.
- 2001 - Crackin' DJ Part 2 is released in Japanese Arcades for the Sega NAOMI GD-ROM board.
- 2004 - Advanced Daisenryaku 2001 Kanzenban is released for Windows PCs while the DVD Sakura Taisen Teikoku Kagekidan Hanagumi Super Kayou Show "Shin Takarajima" DVD Box for the stage play Sakura Taisen Teikoku Kagekidan Hanagumi Super Kayou Show "Shin Takarajima" is released in Japan.
- 2008 - Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games is released for the Nintendo DS in North America.
- 2009 - Toki Shi Koi is released for EZweb (BREW 3.1) compatible phones though Sega's Puyo Puyo! Sega portal in Japan.
- 2011 - Border Break Airburst Technical Manual, a book, is released in Japan.
- 2013 - Sega buys Relic Entertainment for a reported $26.6 million USD. Relic was up for auction along with multiple studios and franchises, following the bankruptcy of THQ. The Cave is released on the PlayStation 3 and Wii U in North America.
- 2014 - Kotoba Colorful / Uta Yome 575, a CD, is released in Japan.
- 2015 - Dairantou!! Dragon Parade is released for Android and iOS in Japan. Citizens of Earth is released for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U in Europe.
- 2018 - D×2: Shin Megami Tensei Liberation is released for iOS in Japan and worldwide for Android.
- 2022 - Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi, a vinyl album, is released in the United Kingdom.
Released on this day
- 1993: Streets of Rage 2 (Mega Drive, EU)
- 1997: Spot Goes to Hollywood (Saturn, US)
- 1998: Machi, Sentimental Graffiti, Solo Crisis, Wizardry Nemesis (Saturn, JP)
- 2001: Crackin' DJ Part 2 (NAOMI GD-ROM, JP)
- 2004: Capcom vs. SNK 2 Millionaire Fighting 2001, Roommate Asami: Okusama ha Joshikousei - Director's Edition, The King of Fighters 2001 (Dreamcast, JP)
- 2004: Sakura Taisen Teikoku Kagekidan Hanagumi Super Kayou Show "Shin Takarajima" DVD Box (DVD, JP)
- 2004: Advanced Daisenryaku 2001 Kanzenban (Windows PC, JP)
- 2008: The Club (Xbox 360, US)
- 2008: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo DS, US)
- 2009: Sonic World Adventure (Xbox 360, JP)
- 2009: Toki Shi Koi (EZweb (BREW 3.1), JP)
- 2011: Border Break Airbust Technical Manual (Book, JP)
- 2013: The Cave (PlayStation 3, US)
- 2013: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (PlayStation Vita, US)
- 2014: Kotoba Colorful / Uta Yome 575 (CD, JP)
- 2015: Dairantou!! Dragon Parade (Android, JP)
- 2015: Citizens of Earth (Wii U, EU)
- 2018: D×2: Shin Megami Tensei Liberation (Android, JP)
- 2020: Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle (DVD, JP)
- 2022: Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi (Vinyl, UK)
You can become a part of the Sega Retro community in several different ways:
- Sign up for a Sega Retro account and become part of our group of editors (If you have a Sonic Retro account please use the same username for your account here)
- We have lots of game pages that are in desperate need of more information. If you know your way around some of these games, help us out by telling us how to play or what to expect. We also have many pages that still need to be made.
- We are always on the lookout for high quality, unmarked, genuine game media scans. If you notice a poor quality or missing scan of a game you have, please help by making a scan and replacing the bad one.
- Log on to Discord and join #sega, our dedicated channel
- From another country or speak another language? Help us by providing otherwise difficult-to-get information about Sega in mainland Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America, or by translating texts.
- Short on ideas? Visit the "to do" page
The Sonic the Hedgehog resource second only to Sega.
Documenting Sega history from the 1940s to present day.
The higher energy computer and video game site for NEC.
Press, pics, and the proving ground for what's next.