Captain America and the Avengers
From Sega Retro
|Captain America and the Avengers|
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive|
|Original system(s): Arcade boards|
|Developer(s) of original games: Data East|
|Number of players: 1-2|
Despite being developed by a Japanese team, it never saw a release in Japan. The music was arranged by Hitoshi Sakimoto, who is well regarded among Sega Mega Drive composers. Interestingly, the PAL version appears to have been optimized in both music speed and gameplay.
The game employs a 2 button setup, which defaults to for jumping and for attacking, although the controls can be redefined. By holding down the attack button, it's possible to guard attacks. Pushing jump and attack simultaneously fires a projectile attack. By attacking late or early during a jump either a dive attack or an aerial shot can be performed.
Stages are littered with rocks, tires, scrap etc. These can be picked up and thrown, as well as downed opponents.
Two stages feature auto scrolling sections that play like a shooting game.
- Iron Man
- Captain America
Vision and Iron Man have an aerial downward aimed projectile, while the other two characters propel themselves downwards.
|| Trivia sections are bad|
Try and incorporate this information into the main article. See the manual of style to find out why.
For unknown reasons the game uses an unoptimized color palette, with lots of details getting lost due to neighboring colors having a too similar shade.
The SNES version has more detailed graphics, but has control issues and lacks voice data. It was not ported by Data East but instead by Mindscape. The Sega Mega Drive version is also closer to the arcade version's stage layout.
- Producer: Mentaiko
- Planner: E.Nishiyama, H.Iwano
- Graphics: T.Ishiro, T.Sawajiri, Yorokin, H.Sasaki
- Software: S.Miki, H.Fujiwara, Y.Mizutani
- Sound: S.Shougo, Tom.Satoh, Ymoh.S
- Marketing: K.Nakamura, S.Miller
- P.R.: S.Takeuchi, D.Saitoh
- Arcade Staff: H.Itoh, K.Miyazawa, H.Ohnuki, T.Haga, M.Tokoro
- Special Thanks: M.Nakamura, K.Yokoyama, H.Yamaguchi
- Director: E.Nishiyama, T.Ishiro
- © 1992 Data East Corporation
- Main article: Captain America and the Avengers/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
| Based on|
|Mega Drive, EU (Classic Mega Drive)|
|Mega Drive, KR|
ROM dump status
- File:GamePro US 038.pdf, page 29
- File:SegaForce UK 14.pdf, page 74
- File:CVG UK 137.pdf, page 80
- File:GameInformer US 008.pdf, page 19
- File:SegaVisions US 11.pdf, page 103
- File:CVG UK 138.pdf, page 72
- File:MeanMachinesEssentialSegaGuide Book UK.pdf, page 29
- File:GamePro US 043.pdf, page 42
- File:GamesMaster UK 004.pdf, page 81
- File:Joypad FR 016.pdf, page 68
- File:Joystick FR 034.pdf, page 238
- File:Mega UK 02.pdf, page 46
- File:MeanMachinesSega05UK.pdf, page 52
- File:SegaForce UK 14.pdf, page 72
- File:Supersonic FR 12.pdf, page 28