From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive|
|Developer: Teeny Weeny Games, Krisalis Software|
|Planned release date: 1993-11, 1994-02, 1994-04|
|State before cancellation: Late in development|
|Status of prototype(s): Prototype dumped|
|Sound driver: Krisalis sound driver|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Despite the game being reportedly finished, Fido Dido was cancelled for unknown reasons, though a ROM of the complete game has since been dumped. Pirated versions of the game have also been spotted, and its widespread circulation frequently leads to the misconception this game was officially released. Fido Dido even got to the stage where it was given cover art in the US and rated by Sega's Videogame Rating Council (as GA). It was also demonstrated at CES 1993.
The reasoning behind Fido Dido's cancellation is unknown, however it was around this time when 7-Up changed their mascot to Cool Spot, which may have been a factor. Furthermore, Kaneko's US arm was closed during this period, leading to the cancellation of other games such as Socks the Cat Rocks the Hill. There was also reportedly a SNES version in development, though this has yet to be unearthed.
A UK version said to be "out now" was reviewed in the Easter 1994 issue of Sega Pro magazine.
- Production from Kaneko: Jeff Hill
- Director, casting, editing, design and production: Angela Sutherland
- Principal programmer: Paul Laidlaw
- Sets, characters and wardrobe: Paul Mitchell
- Assistant programmer: Brian Rogers
- Key grips, assistant graphics and testing: Guillaume Camus
- Music converted by: Matt Furniss
|Sega Retro Average|
- Main article: Fido Dido/Magazine articles.
ROM dump status
|1MB||1993-10||(382 kB) (info)||Page|
- GamePro, "November 1993" (US; 1993-xx-xx), page 213
- Mega, "March 1994" (UK; 1994-02-17), page 89
- Mega, "May 1994" (UK; 1994-04-21), page 81
- 1700 igr dlya Sega, "" (RU; 2003-xx-xx), page 80
- Electronic Gaming Monthly, "January 1994" (US; 199x-xx-xx), page 46
- Entsiklopediya luchshikh igr Sega. Vypusk 1, "" (RU; 1999-xx-xx), page 314
- GamePro, "March 1994" (US; 1994-xx-xx), page 59
- Mega, "June 1994" (UK; 1994-05-19), page 41
- MegaTech, "February 1994" (UK; 1994-01-20), page 58
- Sega Power, "July 1994" (UK; 1994-05-05), page 62
- Sega Pro, "Easter 1994" (UK; 1994-03-24), page 58
- SuperGamePower, "Abril 1994" (BR; 1994-0x-xx), page 33
- Tricks 16 bit, "Tricks Sega Gold 800 igr" (RU; 1998-xx-xx), page 72
- GamePro, "January 1994" (US; 199x-xx-xx), page 9