Thunder Force III
From Sega Retro
|Thunder Force III|
|Distributor: HOT-B (US)|
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive|
|Number of players: 1|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Thunder Force III (サンダーフォースIII) is a 1990 shoot-'em-up developed by Tecnosoft for the Sega Mega Drive. It is the third game in the Thunder Force series and the first to debut on a Sega console. It was brought to the arcades as Thunder Force AC.
Immediately after the events of Thunder Force II, the Galaxy Federation discovers five cloaking devices on five planets circling the ORN Empire's main base, and that any attempt to destroy these cloaking devices will result in ORN's Cerberus destroyer — capable of detecting and destroying large fleets — to take action. With this knowledge, the Galaxy Federation builds a new ship that is both powerful enough to destroy the five cloaking devices yet small enough to avoid detection by Cerberus.
Unlike its predecessors, III only features side-scrolling stages. fires; there is rapidfire. changes speed. changes weapons. Powerups are collected in the usual way. Options can be changed by holding , or when pressing on the title screen - this opens "configuration mode".
You can start at any of the first five levels, skipping over ones before it.
Thunder Force III was released in the US, Japan, South Korea and Brazil, but it is not thought to have been released in the pan-Euro area. However, the US release is known to have been distributed in limited numbers across France and Germany, with the instruction manual exchanged for localised versions. Official releases in other PAL regions have not been confirmed.
- Program: Izumi Fukuda, Takashi Iwanaga, Haruhiko Ohtsuka
- Graphics & Design: Osamu Tsujikawa, Yoichi Muto
- Stage Design: Takashi Iwanaga
- Music Compose: Toshiharu Yamanishi, Tomomi Ohtani
- Sound Effects: Naosuke Arai
- Voice: kaoru
- Manual: Fumio Sugano
- Wording: Kazue Matsuoka
- Produce: Techno Soft
- Main article: Thunder Force III/Magazine articles.
- Main article: Thunder Force III/Promotional material.
|Sega Retro Average|
| Based on|
|Mega Drive, US|
|Mega Drive, DE|
- File:GamePro US 016.pdf, page 107
- File:EGM US 014.pdf, page 64
- File:Supergame BR 12.pdf, page 37
- File:ACE UK 35.pdf, page 60
- File:BeepMD_JP_1990-06.pdf, page 109
- File:SSM_JP_19950901_1995-09.pdf, page 85
- File:CGtC UK 04.pdf, page 37
- File:CVG UK 105.pdf, page 84
- File:GamePower IT 01.pdf, page 56
- File:GamePro US 016.pdf, page 106
- File:TGM UK 33.pdf, page 55
- File:HobbyConsolas ES 002.pdf, page 24
- File:Joypad FR 006.pdf, page 138
- File:MDAG UK 01.pdf, page 80
- File:MegaTech UK 01.pdf, page 81
- File:MeanMachines UK 13.pdf, page 88
- File:PlayerOne FR 013.pdf, page 54
- File:SegaPro UK 06.pdf, page 30
- File:SegaPro UK 09.pdf, page 28
|Thunder Force games for Sega systems / developed by Sega|
|Thunder Force II (1989) | Thunder Force III (1990) | Thunder Force IV / Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar (1992)|
|Thunder Force AC (1990)|
|Thunder Force: Gold Pack 1 (1996) | Thunder Force: Gold Pack 2 (1996) | Thunder Force V (1997)|
|Thunder Force VI (2008)|
|Thunder Force related media|
|Best of Thunder Force (1997) | Thunder Force VI Soundtrack Demo (2008)|