Sega Smash Pack
From Sega Retro
|Sega Smash Pack|
|System(s): Game Boy Advance|
|Publisher: Sega (Europe), THQ (US)|
|Distributor: Infogrames (Europe)|
|Game total: 3|
|Peripherals supported: Game Link Cable|
|Number of players: 1-2|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Sega Smash Pack is a compilation for the Game Boy Advance featuring ports of 3 Sega Mega Drive games: Sonic Spinball, Golden Axe, and Ecco the Dolphin. While the games are a little watered down, they play basically identically to the originals. Golden Axe lacks its cooperative 2-player mode, perhaps due to the logistics involved in implementing this (the games were always single-player only).
Ecco the Dolphin
The Smash Pack version of Sonic Spinball retains the gameplay of the Mega Drive game, but has a number of key omissions. Most of the music is absent, with the Toxic Caves theme playing across all stages (and bosses). The options screen and bonus levels, meanwhile, have no music at all, and what little music does exist in the game does not loop correctly. Many sound effects are also missing or are used in the wrong place, and the emerald jingle does not stop the main level's music when playing.
Audio as a whole is very inconsistent, with some sound effects playing quieter than others, and many, such as explosions, sounding noticeably distorted.
While the graphics are mostly the same as their Mega Drive counterparts, there are a number of layering issues, with sprites being drawn in the wrong order. Like the other two games in this compilation, Sonic Spinball is not optimised for the Game Boy Advance's smaller screen which makes levels trickier to navigate. This also means that in bonus stages, you are unlikely to see Sonic's friends being rescued, and the whole back screen of the table is obscured from view.
- Lead Programmer: John Panettiere
- Executive Producer for Sega: Scott Hawkins
- Producer for Codefire: Daniel Rismann
- Project Coordinator: Rick "Maverick" Ribble Jr.
- Executive Producer for THQ: Brian Christian
- Producer for THQ: Josh Austin
- Additional Artwork: Chris Meyer, Patrick Bradford, John Panettiere
- Golden Axe for Sega Genesis: Sega Enterprises
- Ecco for Sega Genesis: Novotrade International
- Sonic Spinball Genesis by: Sega Technical Institute
- Project Test Lead: Daniel Chang
- Testers: Eric Gray, Phoenix Valencia, Patrick Goodspeed, Adam Zehring
- Lead Tester: George Erwin
- Testers: Philip Frantzis, Herman Lee
- QA Technician: Mario Waibel
- QA Database Administrator: Jason Roberts
- QA Manager: Monica Vallejo
- Director of Quality Assurance: Jeremy S. Barnes
- Special Thanks: Shinobu Toyoda, Michael Williams, Doug Broadhurst, Jack Loh, John Goodale, Heather Hall, Derek C. Smith, Kathy Schoback, Roxanna Hui, Izora Garcia De Lillard, David Rudolph, Judy Jette, Debra Kirkham, Arnold Feener, Mike McCollum, Robert Morgan, Ed Annunziata, Satoshi Okano, Csaba Soltesz, Jerry Markota, Wilco Ibes, Steve Snake, Alex Vaughn, Shinobu Shindo, Makoto Uchida, WOW Entertainment, Ben Briones, Sandy Castagnola, Whitney Pease
- Main article: Sega Smash Pack/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination
ROM dump status
- Nintendo catalogue pages: US
|Sega Smash Pack|