From Sega Retro
|Developer: Sega Technical Institute|
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive|
|Sound driver: GEMS|
|Number of players: 1|
The game takes place from an overhead view. The main character is a puddle of ooze with a head. He can move around and has two attacks. One is stretching out a steerable pseudopod of ooze whose length is only limited by how much ooze he currently has to attack (), and it can also be guided around with the control pad. He can also spit gobs of ooze (), although this takes off a bit of his puddle. Enemy attacks can cut off a bit of the ooze, and the player will die either if his puddle of ooze is reduced to a very small amount or if his head is attacked directly.
The Ooze is based on an algorithmically-generated cellular automaton. As such, the main character can be split apart and reformed like a viscous liquid. The gameplay is reminiscent of The Bitmap Brothers' game The Chaos Engine (called Soldiers of Fortune in the US). The art style evokes a cartoony (necessitated by the constraints of the medium) H.R. Giger. The story recalls The Toxic Avenger. The development team included people who later worked for Blizzard North on Diablo and Diablo II, including designer Stieg Hedlund. Some of the programming was fairly advanced for a 16-bit system; for example, the speed powerup effect was actually created by decreasing the viscosity of the character.
The game's status as a cult classic is confirmed by its inclusion in the Japanese version of Sonic Mega Collection and in all versions of Sonic Mega Collection Plus. It is unlockable in two ways: In the Xbox and PlayStation 2 version, it can be unlocked if you have a Sonic Heroes save. In all versions, it can be unlocked by playing any game on the disk for 30 hours.
- Producer: Michael Wallis
- Concept & Lead Programmer: Dave Sanner
- Art Directors: Robert Steele, John Duggan
- Artists: Alan Ackerman, Stieg Hedlund, Dean Ruggles, Joe Stephenson, Craig Stitt, Tom Tobey, Marte Thompson
- Design: Jason Kuo, Stieg Hedlund, Dave Sanner
- Intro & Ending Artwork: Tony De Zuniga, Tom Tobey
- Music & Sound Effects: Howard Drossin
- Boss Programming: Robert Morgan
- Lead Tester: Rey Alferez
- Testers: Timothy Spengler, Todd Slepian, Mike Benton, Nelson Chiu, Alfred Dutton, Steve Fallas, Richie Hideshima, Michael Ironside, Dylan Manger, David Paniagua, Sean Potter, Jeff Sanders, Stan Weaver, Michael Wu
- Programming & Technical Thanks: Scott Chandler, Jason Plumb, Mark Cerny
- Special Thanks: Roger Hector, Sheri Hockaday, Emi Kawamura, Sue Ortlip, Paul Sears, Dean Lester, Michael Kosaka, Hoyt Ng
- Created by: Sega Technical Institute
- Presented By: Sega & Sega of America
- Source: In-game credits
- Main article: The Ooze/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
| Based on|
|Mega Drive, US|