After Burner Complete
From Sega Retro
|After Burner Complete|
|Developer: Rutubo Games|
|System(s): Sega 32X|
|Original system(s): Sega X Board|
|Number of players: 1|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
After Burner Complete (アフターバーナー・コンプリート), known simply as After Burner in North America is an enhanced Sega 32X port of After Burner II, released in 1995 by Rutubo Games and Sega. During most of its development it was known as Super After Burner.
After Burner Complete is extremely similar to the arcade release of After Burner II, with minor tweaks to make it more suited to a home console environment, and an options screen allowing for adjustments in difficulty and control schemes. It was the most accurate home version of After Burner at the time of release (bettered the following year by Sega Ages After Burner II on the Sega Saturn).
Similar to the 32X version of Space Harrier, After Burner Complete saw mixed reviews from the press, being seen as a simple port of an ageing arcade game which offered few improvements over the Sega Mega Drive version of After Burner II (released back in 1990).
You pilot a fictional airplane called the SSF-14 fighter, using to descend and to climb it, like in a real fighter plane (although that can be changed in the options under "UP/DOWN"). Playing with a three-button controller and fire the vulcan guns, which have infinite ammunition; is used for missiles, which are limited to 50 at start but get replenished at certain points of the game. Six-button controllers are also supported, with which rolls, still shoot missiles, and fire the vulcan guns, sets the speed to low, speed middle and speed high.
There are 23 stages in all and upon reaching stages 5, 9, 13 and 19, allows you to continue the game from the respective stage, through a new option at the title screen.
After Burner Complete is very close to its arcade counterpart, but features slightly lower resolution sprites in places and runs at half the frame rate (30FPS vs. 60FPS).
- Reprogrammed by: Rutubo Games
- Programmers and Planners: Y.Kenji (Rutubo Games), K.Tsuneyoshi (Rutubo Games), M.Hashimoto (Rutubo Games), S.Mukaigashira (Rutubo Games), M.Mishima (Rutubo Games), T.Matsushima (Rutubo Games), T.Maeda (Rutubo Games)
- Special Thanks: H.Aso, K.Nagata, O.Sato, Y.Ohoka, S.Yonekura, H.Lee, K.Hayashida
- Presented by: Sega Enterprises Ltd.
- Source: In-game credits
- Main article: After Burner Complete/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
| Based on|
ROM dump status
- File:GamePro US 068.pdf, page 62
- File:NextGeneration US 02.pdf, page 95
- File:MeanMachinesSega29UK.pdf, page 88
- File:CVG UK 157.pdf, page 139
- File:MAN!AC DE 1995-02.pdf, page 45
- File:MegaFun DE 1995-02.pdf, page 105
- File:PlayerOne FR 052.pdf, page 122
- File:SegaForce SE 1995 03.pdf, page 6
- File:UltimateFutureGames UK 03.pdf, page 82
- File:VideoGames DE 1995-02.pdf, page 87
- File:VideoGames US 76.pdf, page 76
|After Burner Complete|