Puyo Puyo Tetris
From Sega Retro
|Puyo Puyo Tetris|
|System(s): PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 4, Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Steam|
|Publisher: Sega Deep Silver (Europe)|
|Developer: Sonic Team Bitbaboon|
|Number of players: 1-4|
The Japanese Nintendo Switch version of this game was renamed Puyo Puyo Tetris S (ぷよぷよテトリスS).
- 1 Gameplay
- 2 Versions
- 3 Production credits
- 4 Downloadable content
- 5 Magazine articles
- 6 Promotional material
- 7 Artwork
- 8 Physical scans
- 9 Technical information
- 10 External links
- 11 References
Puyo Puyo Tetris, as the name suggests, includes both Puyo Puyo and Tetris game modes, which as well as being available as single player, endless games, can be played competitively locally or online. Unique to this game is the ability for competitive Tetris vs. Puyo Puyo matches, "Swap" matches where the players rotate between both styles, and "Fusion" matches which blend both game styles together and have Puyos and Tetriminos in the same grid, opening opportunities for mixed chains.
On the Puyo Puyo side, the ruleset is similar to that of prior Puyo Puyo titles, most notably Puyo Puyo Tsuu. Garbage Puyo manifest for Tetris players as extra (unfinished) lines at the bottom of the play area, while cleared lines in Tetris manifest as block-shaped Garbage Puyo for Puyo Puyo players.
When a Tetris player challenges at least one Puyo Puyo player in a match, some balancing provisions are taken. All Tetris attacks get stored in an Attack Gauge that is filled when the Tetris player performs "chains" by consecutively clearing lines with each Tetrimino they get, and attacks are only sent when a Tetrimino does not clear a line, and up to five upcoming Tetriminos are visible to plan ahead. Likewise, the ability to "hold" a piece, first seen in 1999's The New Tetris is implemented. When a Puyo Puyo player attacks a Tetris player, nine Garbage Puyo are required before an extra line is added.
Traditionally gameplay of Tetris would vary slightly depending on the publisher, however Puyo Puyo Tetris implements the official Super Rotation System set out by brand owners The Tetris Company. This means the game also uses the standardised Tetrimino colour scheme first introduced with Tetris Worlds in 2001, as opposed to the Sega colour scheme seen in the 1989 version and Sega Tetris. Sega's Tetris theme music does appear in the game, however, alongside the expected Korobeiniki instrumental and others. The original releases of the game had paid DLC, including background, music and the Tetrimino style from the original 1989 version with the original colour scheme; the PS4/Xbox One/Switch/PC versions include all DLC as free in-game unlockables.
There are a total of 24 characters to choose from, with 16 characters available immediately, and 8 to be unlocked. All returning characters are those previously playable in Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary, with seven new characters themed around Tetris being introduced. The remaining characters (Ms. Accord & Popoi, Lidelle, Yu & Rei, Onion Pixy, Donguri Gaeru and Ocean Prince) have been relegated to NPC status in Adventure mode, and Arle and Carbuncle now share a character slot together.
|A student at Suzuran Junior High. She's quite curious... but also quite easily distracted!
|An upperclassman in the Physics Club. No one is sure what lies behind that mask, or if it even is a mask!
|Ringo's childhood friend and classmate. He is always finding new hobbies to fill his time!
|An energetic, enthusiastic young girl. She attends Primp Magic School in hopes of becoming a great magician!
|The top of his class. He comes off as a know-it-all, always hard at work studying dark magic...
|Primp's bug enthusiast. No one knows why, but his left eye and left arm turned red one day...
|Arle & Carbuncle|
|The apprentice mage and her sidekick. She and Carbuncle are always getting into wild misadventures!
|A movin', groovin' fish. He brightens everyone's day with his dances and his big personality!
|The fighting queen. She is a powerful martial artist and is madly in love with the Dark Prince!
|The rich girl in school. Although not gifted with magic, she trains hard every day!
|The Tetris King. As the Captain of the Starship Tetra, he commands a very diverse crew!
|The Captain's Loyal Sidekick. He assists Tee with running the Tetra and brings smiles to everyone!
|The intergalactic brat. She usually behaves when Papa is near, but don't let her looks deceive you!
|The Chief Engineer. Although quite intellectual, he is very easily scared!
|Jay & Elle|
|The pair of pranksters. They delight in tormenting those around them...
|The guardian and caretaker. He works hard to keep the Tetra in ship-shape, especially tending to Ess!
|The dark magician. He has developed quite the reputation due to his strange vocabulary...
|The bizarre goth girl. She is fascinated by tarot, fortune telling, and other arcane arts!
|The half-dragon girl. She is bold, beautiful, and constantly trying to win pageants!
|The apprentice witch. She specializes in potions, gathering some very odd ingredients indeed...
|The comet warlock. In addition to being a prodigy with magic, he has quite a sweet tooth!
|Satan / Dark Prince|
|The Lord of the Underworld. He is captivated by Arle and would do anything to win her affections...
|The Wanderer of Worlds. He is a being of immense power, who does whatever he pleases!
|The Keeper of Dimensions. His past is shrouded in mystery...
- Main article: Puyo Puyo Tetris/Achievements.
|Language||Localised Name||English Translation|
|English||Puyo Puyo Tetris||Puyo Puyo Tetris|
|Japanese||ぷよぷよテトリス||Puyo Puyo Tetris|
|Korean||뿌요뿌요 테트리스||Puyo Puyo Tetris|
|Chinese (Traditional; Taiwan)||魔法氣泡Tetris||Mófǎ Qìpào Tetris|
- Main article: Puyo Puyo Tetris/Changelog.
- Producer: Mizuki Hosoyamada
- Director: Koji Shindo
- Art Director: Shoko Kambe
- Character Art Director: Akira Mikame
- Technical Director: Naoto Ogawa
- Sound Director: Hideki Abe
- Planners: Rei Hata, Kohei Iizuka, Yukio Yamashita
- Story Planner: Utako Yoshino
- Character Artist: Masao Tsunoda
- Supervisors: Masatoshi Nakamura, Shingo Tanaka
- Web Artists: Yuichi Kikuchi, Gou Takahashi
- Project Support: Takashi Iizuka, Eigo Kasahara, Shun Nakamura, Tetsu Katano, Kazuyuki Hoshino, Sachiko Kawamura, Naofumi Hataya, Toshio Nakayama, Tetsuo Shinyu, Mayu Koike
- Special Thanks: Makoto Suzuki, Masayuki Inoue, Masaru Setsumaru, Masakatsu Watanabe, Atsuki Yagi, Yosuke Okunari, Kenji Tsujisaka (Wave Master), Sui-sei
- In Cooperation With O-TWO inc.
- Co-Producer: Takahiro Uno
- Lead Planner: Masanosuke Shimizu
- Planners: Kentarou Kiyono, Sakon Kanayama, Nobuo Hatauchi, Jyunichi Nakata, Miyuki Nakao, Akihiro Kado, Yasuhiro Itoge, Nozomu Umezono, Tatsuya Haitani
- Lead Designer: Hiroyuki Yamazura
- Designers: Daisaku Kishiue, Takeshi Mitsumoto, Mitsuhiro Sasatani, Kouichirou Miyanaga, Youichi Takeda, Yuki Takeuchi, Takahito Kojima, Keiko Matsuoka, Masayuki Ohiwa, Changliang Zhou, Rina Yamauchi, Nobuko Yamamoto, Kyousuke Hamada, Madoka Fuse, Takayuki Ono, Aki Kise, Junichi Kobayashi, Keiko Hosoo, Hiroyuki Uchihara
- Lead Programmer: Hiroki Hayami
- Programmers: Kenichi Koshida, Yoshiharu Kanai, Takaaki Ieki, Yu Nakawatari, Yasuhiko Hayashi, Naoki Isoi, Nobuki Watanabe, Tadashi Honjo, Kenta Nakajima, Katsuhiko Iida, Maho Hirose, Yusuke Miyazaki, Syota Oki, Mikihiro Kuroda, Kosei Matsumiya, Kazuya Asatsuke, Hisashi Terai, Satoru Yamamoto, Hirokazu Eki, Youhei Kojima, Taiki Nakayama, Kenjirou Uesaka, Shinya Hironaka
- Project Assistants: Takaya Hirata, Masayoshi Hiura
- Voice actors: Shiho Kikuchi, Mie Sonozaki, Asami Imai, Yuriko Fuchizaki, Noriko Namiki, Hisayoshi Suganuma, Tamaki Nakanishi, Masakazu Morita, Chikara Ousaka, Kanako Kondo, Yukie Maeda, Takumi Yamazaki, Kenichi Ono, Yuki Ishikari, Kaori Nazuka, Akira Ishida, Miwa Kouzuki, Naomi Wakabayashi, Kaoru Sakura, Kaoru Mizuhara, Miina Tominaga, Yui Horie, Yuki Tai, Kathreen Miyuki, Ryunosuke Watanuki, Kazuki Yao
- Voice coordinator: Junichi Mizumura (REMAX)
- Voice Recording Engineer: Yoshitada Miya
- IMAGICA Imageworks, Inc.
- Development Producer: Shige Ito
- Project Managers: Yuka Shibuya, Junko Hirota, Shodai Sato
- Character CG Works: Orie Manabe, Wakana Narita, Yuka Nagahata, Shintaro Ishikawa
- Project Managers: Takayoshi Ouchi, Reiko Chiba
- Sales promotion: Yoko Fukada
- Publicity: Yasushi Nagumo, Chikako Hida
- Retail Sales: Akira Nomoto, Teruyuki Awaji, Yasunobu Masahiro, Shinya Oosaki, Haruo Imatsu, Tetsuo Sasaki, Masaya Santo, Yuichiro Shimada, Tomiaki Fujita, Yoshihito Endo, Katsutoshi Memezawa, Nobuaki Sone, Toru Yasuda, Toshiyuki Tanaka, Masahiro Tanaka, Tomohiko Hayashi, Tomoaki Ishidao, Yoshihiro Enomoto, Taku Takeuchi, FIELD CREW SERVICE Co. Ltd.
- Sales Promotion : Mitsuru Takahashi, Nobuhiro Tanaka, Koichi Hanatate, Taro Isokawa, Katsumi Baba, Yuta Hirai
- Sales Support: Takashi Kabasawa, Yoko Oda, Tomoki Kaji, Kazuhiro Ezaki
- Department Manager of Licensing: Tetsuya Hotozuka
- International Licensing Manager: Rentaro Nagahara
- Licensing Coordinator: Rika Shirai
- Package & Software Manual: Yoshihiro Sakuta, Yoichi Takahashi, Kazuaki Jikuhara, Hiroki Osawa, Toshiki Yamaguchi, Masato Shimamura, Yoshitake Ohta, Takuya Hamamoto
- Product Test: Takashi Shoji, Akira Nishikawa, Junichi Shimizu, Osamu Sato, Atsushi Hirano, Yuki Takahashi, Yoshiaki Yamazaki, Kenji Takano, Kazuya Miyazaki, Natsuki Furuya, Jiro Kimura, Yuki Ono, Hiroaki Sato, Koji Nakagawa, Hiromi Miyama, Takehito Nakamura, Yasumasa Kumakura, Masayuki Takahagi, Chie Shibahara, Tooru Kaiya, Daichi Sasaki, Chiharu Yoshida, Daisuke Miyamoto, Shunichi Senda, Atsushi Murayama, Ryoichi Shibuya
- QA: Seiji Hasegawa, Sunao Murayama, Yuji Nakamura, Yoshihiro Narumi, Kouzou Takasugi, Koji Yoshida
- Blue Planet Software inc.
- President: Henk Rogers
- Director of Development: Maya Rogers
- Project Manager: Brian Rogers
- QA Manager: Shawn Tanabe
- Licensing: Lisa Linnenkohl
- Marketing & PR Manager: Danny Han
- Legal Administrator: Gerilynn Maria
- Production Assistant: Aaron Yap
- Special Thanks: Kazuko Oono, Shinobu Yokota
- Chief Producers: Toshihiro Nagoshi, Osamu Ohashi
- Executive Supervisor: Yukio Sugino
- Executive Producer: Naoya Tsurumi
- Special Thanks To: All staff members and their families
- Source: In-game credits (JP)
- Main article: Puyo Puyo Tetris/Downloadable content.
- Main article: Puyo Puyo Tetris/Magazine articles.
PlayStation 3 version
Wii U version
Nintendo 3DS version
PlayStation Vita version
PlayStation 4 version
|PlayStation 4, KR|
Xbox One version
Nintendo Switch version
|Nintendo Switch, KR|
ROM dump status
- Sega of Japan catalogue pages (Japanese): PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch
- Official website (English)
- Official website (Japanese)
- Puyo Puyo Tetris on PlayStation.com: PlayStation 3: JP, JP (digital), JP (Special Price); PlayStation 4: JP, JP (Special Price), US; PlayStation Vita: JP, JP (digital), JP (Special Price)
- Puyo Puyo Tetris on PlayStation Store: PlayStation 3: JP; PlayStation Vita: JP
- Puyo Puyo Tetris on Steam
- Nintendo catalogue pages: Wii U: JP; Switch: JP, US, US (digital), UK, AU, KR, KR (digital), HK, TW; Nintendo 3DS: JP
- Puyo Puyo Tetris on Xbox Store: JP
- http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/bljm61097.html (Wayback Machine: 2014-02-09 18:33)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/jp0177npjb00462_00puyotetris000000.html (Wayback Machine: 2014-10-07 18:28)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/bljm61323.html (Wayback Machine: 2015-10-27 09:57)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/jp0177npjb00462_00puyotetris000000.html (Wayback Machine: 2015-11-29 06:59)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/pljm80031.html (Wayback Machine: 2014-11-21 12:59)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/pljm80120.html (Wayback Machine: 2015-10-20 13:39)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/vljm30054.html (Wayback Machine: 2014-02-09 09:57)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/jp0177pcsg00224_00puyotetris000000.html (Wayback Machine: 2014-02-09 09:13)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/vljm30164.html (Wayback Machine: 2015-10-27 10:04)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/jp0177pcsg00224_00puyotetris000000.html (Wayback Machine: 2016-03-07 17:48)
- https://www.nintendo.co.jp/titles/20010000004764 (Wayback Machine: 2017-11-26 06:36)
- http://puyo.sega.jp/puyopuyotetris/spec/index.html (Wayback Machine: 2014-02-14 18:32)
- http://puyo.sega.jp:80/portal/topics/PuyoTetris/20151001_000899/ (Wayback Machine: 2018-10-09 18:48)
- http://puyo.sega.jp/puyopuyotetris/spec/index.html (Wayback Machine: 2018-10-29 21:32)
- http://sega.jp/x/puyotetris/ (Wayback Machine: 2015-05-16 17:54)
- http://puyo.sega.jp/portal/topics/PuyoTetris/20151001_000899/ (Wayback Machine: 2015-10-04 01:01)
- http://sega.jp/topics/170113_soft_1/ (Wayback Machine: 2019-05-27 21:28)
- http://puyo.sega.jp/puyopuyotetris/S/ (Wayback Machine: 2019-05-27 21:29)
- https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/puyo-puyo-tetris-switch/ (Wayback Machine: 2019-04-23 06:04)
- https://twitter.com/PuyoOfficial/status/854097258672824320 (Wayback Machine: 2019-02-11 09:34)
- https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch/Puyo-Puyo-Tetris--1177193.html (archive.today)
- https://www.nintendo.fr/Jeux/Nintendo-Switch/Puyo-Puyo-Tetris--1177193.html (archive.today)
- https://www.nintendo.de/Spiele/Nintendo-Switch/Puyo-Puyo-Tetris--1177193.html (archive.today)
- https://www.nintendo.es/Juegos/Nintendo-Switch/Puyo-Puyo-Tetris--1177193.html (archive.today)
- https://www.nintendo.it/Giochi/Nintendo-Switch/Puyo-Puyo-Tetris--1177193.html (archive.today)
- http://www.nintendo.co.kr:80/software/switch/detail/baacf/ (Wayback Machine: 2018-09-15 09:09)
- https://www.nintendo.tw/switch/puyopuyo_tetris/store/ (Wayback Machine: 2019-06-08 21:36)
- https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/puyo-puyo-tetris-digital-version-switch (Wayback Machine: 2019-04-04 02:51)
- https://store.nintendo.com.hk/70010000012034 (Wayback Machine: 2019-05-27 21:53)
- https://store.nintendo.co.kr/70010000009163 (Wayback Machine: 2019-05-27 22:16)
- https://ec.nintendo.com/AU/en/titles/70010000000175 (Wayback Machine: 2019-05-27 22:20)
- https://steamdb.info/app/546050/ (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-26 17:30)
- https://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=546050 (Wayback Machine: 2019-06-18 05:27)
- http://steamcommunity.com/games/546050/announcements/detail/1674650439749457751 (Wayback Machine: 2018-03-30 04:52)
- http://steamcommunity.com/games/546050/announcements/detail/1672396737872438538 (Wayback Machine: 2018-03-06 17:41)
|Puyo Puyo Tetris|
|Tetris and Tetris-like games for Sega systems/developed by Sega|
|Sega: Tetris (1989) | Flash Point (1989) | Bloxeed (1989) | Sega Tetris (1999) | Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 28: Tetris Collection (2006) | Tetris Giant (2010) | Puyo Puyo Tetris (2014) | Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 (2020)|
|Third-Party: Blockout (1991) | Tetris Plus (1996) | Tetris S (1996) | Tetris 4D (1998) | The Next Tetris: On-Line Edition (2000) | Tetris Kiwamemichi (2004)|
|Tetris related media|
|Tetremix (1989) | Flash Point/Bloxeed (1990) | New Century (2006)|