Puyo Puyo Tetris
From Sega Retro
This teeny-tiny article needs some work. You can help us by expanding it.
|Puyo Puyo Tetris|
|Publisher: Sega, Deep Silver (EU)|
|System(s): PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 4, Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch|
|Number of players: 1-2|
The Japanese Nintendo Switch version of this game was renamed Puyo Puyo Tetris S (ぷよぷよテトリスS).
- 1 Gameplay
- 2 Versions
- 3 Production credits
- 4 Magazine articles
- 5 Physical scans
- 6 External links
- 7 References
Puyo Puyo Tetris, as the name suggests, includes both Puyo Puyo and Tetris game modes, which as well as being available as single player, endless games, can be played competitively. Unique to this game is the ability for competitive Tetris vs. Puyo Puyo matches.
On the Puyo Puyo side, the ruleset is similar to that of prior Puyo Puyo titles, most notably Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary and Puyo Puyo 7. Ojama puyo manifest for Tetris players as extra (unfinished) lines at the bottom of the play area, while cleared lines in Tetris manifest as ojama puyo for Puyo Puyo players.
As Tetris has no concept of chaining attacks (in fact, players can only get one, two, three or four lines in one move), some balancing provisions have been taken. Nine ojama puyo are required before an extra line is added, and up to five upcoming tetrominoes are visible to plan ahead. Likewise, the ability to "hold" a piece, first seen in 1999's The New Tetris is implemented.
Traditionally gameplay of Tetris would vary slightly depending on the publisher, however Puyo Puyo Tetris implements the official rule scheme set out by brand owners The Tetris Company. This means the game also uses the standardised tetromino colour scheme first introduced with Tetris Worlds in 2001, as opposed to the Sega colour scheme seen in the 1989 version and Sega Tetris. Sega's Tetris theme music does appear in the game, however, alongside the expected Korobeiniki instrumental and others.
- Main article: Puyo Puyo Tetris/Achievements.
|Language||Localised Name||English Translation|
|English||Puyo Puyo Tetris||Puyo Puyo Tetris|
|Japanese||ぷよぷよテトリス||Puyo Puyo Tetris|
|Korean||뿌요뿌요 테트리스||Puyo Puyo Tetris|
|Chinese (Traditional; Taiwan)||魔法氣泡Tetris||Mófǎ Qìpào Tetris|
||This article needs a list of production credits, either from the game itself, a manual, or other reliable source.|
- Main article: Puyo Puyo Tetris/Magazine articles.
PlayStation 3 version
Wii U version
Nintendo 3DS version
PlayStation Vita version
PlayStation 4 version
|PlayStation 4, UK|
|PlayStation 4, FR|
|PlayStation 4, DE|
|PlayStation 4, ES|
|PlayStation 4, AU|
|PlayStation 4, KR|
Xbox One version
Nintendo Switch version
|Nintendo Switch, US (Target)|
|Nintendo Switch, UK|
|Nintendo Switch, FR|
|Nintendo Switch, DE|
|Nintendo Switch, ES|
|Nintendo Switch, KR|
- Official Website (English)
- Sega of Japan catalogue pages (Japanese): PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch
- Puyo Puyo Tetris on PlayStation.com: PlayStation 3: JP, JP (digital), JP (Special Price); PlayStation 4: JP, JP (Special Price), US; PlayStation Vita: JP, JP (digital), JP (Special Price)
- Puyo Puyo Tetris on PlayStation Store: PlayStation 3: JP; PlayStation Vita: JP
- http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/bljm61097.html (archived 2014-02-09 18:33)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/bljm61323.html (archived 2015-10-27 09:57)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/jp0177npjb00462_00puyotetris000000.html (archived 2015-11-29 06:59)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/jp0177npjb00462_00puyotetris000000.html (archived 2014-10-07 18:28)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/pljm80031.html (archived 2014-11-21 12:59)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/pljm80120.html (archived 2015-10-20 13:39)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/vljm30054.html (archived 2014-02-09 09:57)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/jp0177pcsg00224_00puyotetris000000.html (archived 2014-02-09 09:13)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/vljm30164.html (archived 2015-10-27 10:04)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/jp0177pcsg00224_00puyotetris000000.html (archived 2016-03-07 17:48)
|Tetris and Tetris-like games for Sega systems/developed by Sega|
|Sega: Tetris (1989) | Flash Point (1989) | Bloxeed (1989) | Sega Tetris (1999) | Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 28: Tetris Collection (2006) | Tetris Giant (2010) | Puyo Puyo Tetris (2014)|
|Third-Party: Blockout (1991) | Tetris Plus (1996) | Tetris S (1996) | Tetris 4D (1998) | The Next Tetris: On-Line Edition (2000) | Tetris Kiwamemichi (2004)|
|Tetris related media|
|Tetremix (1989) | Flash Point/Bloxeed (1990) | New Century (2006)|