This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
X-Men 2: Clone Wars is the sequel to the Sega Mega Drive game X-Men, released in 1995 by Headgames and Sega under license from Marvel Comics. In the game, you control a select few X-Men as they try to stop the alien Phalanx from assimilating all of Earth's inhabitants to their race.
Each character can attack using either a normal punch () or one of their special powers (). They can also jump () and can jump on walls and wall jump (similar to how Mighty the Armadillo wall jumps in Knuckles' Chaotix). Plenty of character specific moves exist. Unlike the original X-Men, special powers are not limited in the amount of energy you have to use them; in fact, you can even charge them for even more power. Each time you die, you can choose to continue with a different character.
Health is restored by collecting DNA strings, which come in three sizes, corresponding to the amount of health they restore
The game is notable for starting you with a random character on the first level upon turning on the system; beating this level takes you to the title screen, and from there, the next level of the game.
You can choose to play from one of six different X-Men: Beast, Psylocke, Gambit, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Cyclops. A seventh character becomes available around a quarter into the game. Assist characters from the prequel have been completely removed.
- Developed for Sega of America by: Headgames, Inc.
- Producer: Ed Annunziata
- Associate Producer: Stephen Patterson
- Project Managers: Dan Rosenfeld, Jonathan Miller
- Art Direction: Steven Ross
- Animations & Backgrounds: Steven Ross, Spencer Boomhower, Doug Nishimura
- Programming: Dan Rosenfeld, Alex Tyrer, Meilin Wong, David Eader, Jay Carlson, Josua Singer
- Design: Novak of Zono, Inc., The Headgames Team
- Design Consultant: Josua Gordon
- Level Layout: Joshua Gordon (Lead), Doug Nishimura, Steven Ross, Dan Rosenfeld, Alex Tyrer
- Sound Design by: Neuromantic Productions, Mark Steven Miller, Kurt Harland, Jim Hedges
- Additional Art: Scott Anderson, Robert Hanon, Yongki Yoon, Brandon McKinney
- Business Affairs: Ed Zobrist of Zono, Inc.
- Lead Tester: Tony Lynch
- Assistant Leads: Steve Bourdet, Rey Alferez, Caroline Trujillo & Dave Dodge
- Mike Baldwin, Sancho Martinez, Leonard Sayers, Tracy Johnson, Nathan Clark, Lloyd Kinoshita, Lorne Asuncion, Mark Griffin, Janine Cook, Christina Watson, Tim Spengler, Rob Owen, Joe Cain, Nick Katakis, Dave Wood, Howard Gipson, Leroy Tripette, Jenniver Vernon, Chris Lucich, Ben Cureton, Jeff Loney, Al Dutton, Ed Chennault, Maria Tuzzo, Rick Greer, Atom Ellis, Aaron Loichinger, Sean Doidge, Nathan Tan, Steve Wong, Jeff Junio & all of the rest of the Sega 24 Hour Test Crew!
- Main article: X-Men 2: Clone Wars/Magazine articles.
Print advert in Sega Visions
#23: "February/March 1995" (199x-xx-xx)
also published in:
- GamePro (US)
#68: "March 1995" (1995-xx-xx)
|Sega Retro Average
|Computer & Video Games (UK)
|| №161, p80-81
|Electronic Gaming Monthly (US)
|| №68, p36
|| №0303, p18
|Game Players (US)
|| №0804, p32/33
|| №28, p56/57
|Games World (UK)
|| №11, p79
|Mega Fun (DE)
|| №4/95, p85
|Mean Machines Sega (UK)
|| №31, p68-70
|Next Generation (US)
|| №4, p99
|Player One (FR)
|| №53, p77-79
|Sega Magazine (UK)
|| №16, p76/77
|Sega Power (UK)
|| №66, p67
|Sega Pro (UK)
|| №44, p36/37
|| №74, p83
| Based on|
| Mega Drive, EU
| Mega Drive, AU
| Mega Drive, BR
ROM dump status
|| Build Date
|| Cartridge (US/EU)