From Sega Retro
- For Western home computer versions see Super Hang-On (home computers)
|System(s): Sega Hang-On hardware, Sega OutRun hardware, Mega-Tech System, Sega Mega Drive, X68000, Virtual Console, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Now|
|Publisher: Sega Sharp|
|Developer: Sega AM2 SPS|
|Sound driver: pre-SMPS Z80|
|Genre: Action (JP Mega Drive box), Racing|
|Number of players: 1|
Super Hang-On (スーパーハングオン) is a 1987 arcade game developed by Sega AM2 and the successor to Hang-On. It was built on the Sega Hang-On hardware that powered Space Harrier. Versions of the arcade game also ran on the Sega OutRun hardware and Mega-Tech System.
Being a successor to Hang-On, the objective and controls of the game are the same. To race passing checkpoints and not letting the time run out while avoiding other racers or going off track.
The main difference in gameplay is that the player has 4 tracks to race on, each one having a different number of checkpoints, but in total, each stage is roughly half the length of a stage in the original Hang-On. Africa is the easiest and shortest out of the four courses (6 stages). Asia is the second easiest and is similar in length to the course from the original Hang-On at 10 stages long. The Americas is the second to toughest course, containing 14 stages and Europe is the hardest course, being 18 stages long.
When the player starts a race, they have their choice of 4 songs that will play during the race, a feature borrowed from OutRun.
- Main article: Super Hang-On/Achievements.
The most common version of Super Hang-On is the Sega Mega Drive version released in 1989. This version was released early on in the console's lifespan and appeared in several Mega Drive compilations namely Mega Games I, Mega Games 6, Mega Games 6 Vol. 2, Mega Games 10 and 6-Pak. A near perfect port of the game was released for the Sharp X68000 computer in Japan in the same year.
Super Hang-On also appeared as part of Sega Smash Pack 2 for PCs and Sega Arcade Gallery for the Game Boy Advance. More recently, the arcade version has been released as part of Sega Vintage Collection: Alex Kidd & Co..
Super Hang-On was altered and released as a full deluxe simulated-motorcycle cabinet later as Limited Edition Hang-On in 1991.
While often thought to be a very close conversion, the Mega Drive version of Super Hang-On makes a number of cutbacks, with fewer opponents on-screen at any one time, each sharing fewer animations (for example, there are eight visible riders on the starting grid of the arcade version, while on the Mega drive there are only six). The Mega Drive version also features less scenery and operates at a slower frame rate (which is decreased further when too many objects are on-screen at once).
As with most conversions of super scaler games to home systems of the day, a lack of native sprite scaling means that for most ports of the game, sprites of differing sizes are substituted in where necessary. This leads to a choppier experience than the arcade version.
- Main article: Super Hang-On/Comparisons.
- Main article: Super Hang-On/Magazine articles.
- Main article: Super Hang-On/Promotional material.
|Sega Retro Average|
|Arcade, US (mini ride-on)|
Mega Drive version
|Sega Retro Average|
|Mega Drive, AU|
|Mega Drive, SE (Rental)|
- Sega of Japan Virtual Console pages: Arcade
- Nintendo catalogue pages: US, UK
- Super Hang-On on PlayStation.com: JP, US, KR
- Super Hang-On on PlayStation Store: JP, US, UK, AU, KR, TW
- http://sega.jp/fb/segahard/md/soft.html (Wayback Machine: 2018-12-14 14:49)
- File:ComputerEntertainer_US_Vol.8_09.pdf, page 14
- Mean Machines, "October 1990" (UK; 1990-09-xx), page 84
- File:Raze UK 03.pdf, page 66
- Player One, "Octobre 1990" (FR; 1990-xx-xx), page 54 Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name ":File:PlayerOne FR 002.pdf_p54" defined multiple times with different content
- http://blogs.sega.com/2012/05/03/more-sega-classics-for-virtual-console/ (Wayback Machine: 2012-05-05 16:01)
- http://www.nintendo.com:80/games/detail/YiUkEok1kTMMN_ucnOzI8JrAE4F76odU (Wayback Machine: 2012-05-07 23:05)
- http://www.nintendolife.com/games/vcarcade/super_hang-on (Wayback Machine: 2018-03-21 22:18)
- https://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/vc/software/13.html (Wayback Machine: 2018-03-10 23:36)
- http://vc.sega.jp:80/vca_sho (Wayback Machine: 2010-09-14 14:27)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/jp0177npjb00093_00superhangonpsnjp.html (Wayback Machine: 2012-08-02 23:06)
- PlayStation Store (ko-kr; HP0177-NPHB00255_00-SUPERHANGONPSNAS) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-05 01:21)
- PlayStation Store (fr-fr; EP0177-NPEB00412_00-SUPERHANGONPSNEU) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-05 01:20)
- PlayStation Store (de-de; EP0177-NPEB00412_00-SUPERHANGONPSNEU) (Wayback Machine: 2018-12-16 19:48)
- PlayStation Store (en-gb; EP0177-NPEB00412_00-SUPERHANGONPSNEU) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-05 01:18)
- PlayStation Store (en-au; EP0177-NPEB00412_00-SUPERHANGONPSNEU) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-05 01:18)
- PlayStation Store (en-tw; HP0177-NPHB00255_00-SUPERHANGONPSNAS) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-05 01:21)
- File:CommodoreUser UK 45.pdf, page 86
- File:BeepMD_JP_1990-02.pdf, page 72
- File:SSM_JP_19950901_1995-09.pdf, page 87
- File:CGtC UK 04.pdf, page 35
- File:CVG UK 100.pdf, page 92
- File:Joystick FR 005.pdf, page 58
- File:MegaTech UK 01.pdf, page 80
- File:MeanMachines UK 01.pdf, page 82
- File:MeanMachinesSega01UK.pdf, page 127
- File:PowerPlay DE 023.pdf, page 67
- File:SegaPro UK 06.pdf, page 30
- File:SegaForce UK 08.pdf, page 24
|Games in the Hang-On Series|
|Hang-On (1985) | Hang-On Jr. (1985) | Hang-On II (1985) | Super Hang-On (home computers) (1987) | GP Rider (Master System | Game Gear) (1990) | Limited Edition Hang-On (1991) | Hang-On GP (1995) | 3D Super Hang-On (2013)|
|Hang-On related media|
|Yu Suzuki Produce Hang On/Space Harrier (1997) | Super Hang-On 20th Anniversary Collection (2007) | Super Hang-On (2015)|