Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
From Sega Retro
|Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom|
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive, Virtual Console, Steam|
|Developer: Sega R&D 2 M2|
|Sound driver: SMPS Z80|
|Number of players: 1|
|Official in-game languages: |
Like its predecessor, only Japanese, English, and Portuguese translations were produced officially.
- 1 Story
- 2 Gameplay
- 3 Characters
- 4 Techniques
- 5 History
- 6 Versions
- 7 Production credits
- 8 Digital manuals
- 9 Magazine articles
- 10 Promotional material
- 11 Artwork
- 12 Physical scans
- 13 Technical information
- 14 External links
- 15 References
Taking place in a world which is inhabited by multiple small kingdoms, Phantasy Star III starts with a myth of a massive battle between followers of Orakio, called Orakians who preach technological advancements and followers of Laya, called Layans who are talented with magic. After the war's abrupt end, both sides retreat to their respectable regions but animosities between two races remain.
Centuries later Rhys, prince of the small kingdom of Landen discovers a unconsious, amnesiac young woman named Maia in a beach and nurses her back to health. The two eventually fall in love and decide to marry. However during the wedding ceremony, Maia is kidnapped by a dragon. Filled with Anger, Rhys decides to rescue Maia on his own, making allies and enemies along the way. Little does he know that he will start a decades-long struggle to save the planet from a catastrophic fate.
It is much unlike the other games as it does not take place in Algo star system. It also focuses on three generations of heroes. Thus, you can eventually control your children and grand children, depending on whom you marry at the end of the first two generations, bringing you to one of the four different endings. You will travel through seven lands, battling creatures and learning about the world that the game takes place in.
Over the course of the game it is revealed that planet the characters inhabit is actually not a planet but a rather a massive space ship, originally built to save inhabitants of planet Palma which was destroyed during the events of Phantasy Star II. It is also revealed that the game takes place 1000 years after the events of the second game.
Names in brackets are used in the Japanese version. Mieu and Wren will be avaiable in all scenarios as companions.
|Rhys (Kein) Sa Riik|
|Young prince of the small Kingdom of Landen. After her wife-to-be is kidnapped by a dragon during the wedding day, Rhys escapes from his father's castle and starts an adventure that will eventually save their planet. Direct descendant of Orakio from the legend.
Rhys cannot use any techniques but physically powerful.
|Maia (Marina) Le Cille - Not Playable|
|Maia is the amnesiac woman rescued by Rhys. The two eventually fell in love but she is kidnapped during their wedding ceremony. It is later revealed that she is the princess of Layan Kingdom of Cille. She is one of the candidates for Rhys to marry at the end of the first scenario.|
|Mieu is cyborg(*) that once worked for Orakio. Rhys encounters her soon after starting his journey and Mieu, realizing that he is a descendant of Orakio, joins him, serving him and his descendants over the next years.
Mieu can use claws as weapons and she is quite fast. She can use Healing and Order class techniques in combat.
|Wren (Searren) Type-386|
|Wren is another cyborg(*) once fought under Orakio. Unlike Mieu, Wren is ranged combat oriented and can transform to different types of vehicles if necessary parts are found. He also acts as a mechanic. Can use Melee and Time based techniques.|
|Lyle La Mirah|
|Lyle is the prince of Shusoran, a Layan kingdom located at Aquatica region. His reasons for joining Rhys and his true motives remain mystery until the second generation.
Lyle can use staves and can use Melee type magic.
|Lena no Satera|
|Princess of the neighboring kingdom of Satera, Lena was supposed to be Rhys' wife until the latter encountered Maia and fell in love with her. Despite this Lena decides to help Rhys to find Maia, first helping her escape from the dungeon and later joining him. She is one the candidates for Rhys to marry at the end of the first scenario.
Lena cannot use any magic but her stats are slightly above average.
|Ayn Le Cille|
|Ayn is son of Rhys and Maia. After Cille and Shusoran comes under attack by Cyborgs and her family forced to run away, Ayn is tasked by her parents to find a safe refugee from the invasion.
Being half Layan from her mother's side, Ayn can use Heal and Time techniques and inherits his father's high physical stats.
|Nial (Lane) Sa Riik|
|Nial is son of Rhys and Lena and prince of now united Landen-Satera Kingom. After their kingdom comes under attack by powerful monsters, his parents charge him to find who is responsible.
Nial is pretty much identical to Rhys: cannot use magic but has much higher physical stats than Ayn.
|Thea (Lann) La Mirah|
|Thea is daughter of Lyle and Princess of Shusoran. During the initial attack of Cyborgs, she gets kidnapped and Lyle asks Ayn to find her. She is one of the candidates Ayn can marry at the end of his scenario.
While physically weak, Thea can use Heal and Melee class techniques.
|Sari (Lynn) no Satera|
|Sari is daughter of Lena, and princess of now united kingdom of Landen-Satera. After deciding to fight against the cyborg invasion on her own, Sari joins Ayn's group and hands him over the Power Topaz after Ayn defeats her in combat. She is one of the candidates Ayn can marry at the end of his scenario.
Being an Orakian, Sari cannot use any techniques but makes up for it by having very high physical stats, almost on par with Nial.
|Ryan (Dan Ka Cium)|
|Ryan is the leader of the Layan resistance who is against the violent ways of Lune, who is responsible for the monster attack on Landen-Satera. Believing that Nial is in cahoots with Lune for rescuing Alair, Lune's sister, he tries to have them captured. He joins Nial's group after realizing they are also opposing Lune.
Ryan uses Time based techniques and uses staves in combat.
|Laya is the same named younger sister of the Laya from the millenium old legend. After being placed in suspended animation, she is awakened by Nial's group and joins the fight to stop Lune. She is not encountered during the Ayn's scenario but can be recruited during Sean's and Crys' scenarios. She is one of the candidates for Nial to marry at the end of his scenario.
Laya uses bows as weapons and can use Heal and Order based techniques.
|Alair (Louise) Kay Eshyr - Not Playable|
|Alair is younger sister of Lune and she was once a commander for Laya's armies, only recently revived from suspended animation. Unlike her older brother, she believes co-existence with Orakians and promises to help Nial. She is one of the candidates for Nial to marry at the end of his scenario.|
|Sean (Shiin) Le Cille|
|Sean is son of Ayn and Thea. After their home, satellite Dahlia was destroyed by the other Satellite Alisa III and both of his parents are killed, Sean escapes to the planet surface to avenge his parents.
Being a three-quarter Layan Sean can use Heal, Melee and Time techniques.
|Crys (Noin) No Satera|
|Crys is son of Ayn and Sari and Prince of the Landen-Satera Kindgom. After a huge earthquake hits the kingdom, her parents send him to find out what happened.
He can use Time class techniques.
|Adan (Fuin) Sa Riik|
|Prince of Landen-Satera Kingdom, Adan is the son of Nial and Laya and twin brother of Gwyn. After her sister is plagued by nightmares, he is tasked by his parents to team with her and find out what is causing these dreams.
Adan is half Layan and as such can use Heal techniques.
|Gwyn (Laya) Sa Riik|
|Princess of Landen-Satera Kingdom, Gwyn is the daughter of Nial and Laya and twin sister of Adan. After recurring nightmares of a catastrophe falling upon the world, she joins her older brother to find out what is threatining the planet.
Gwyn can use Heal and Order based techniques.
|Aron (Ruin) Sa Riik|
|Aron is son of Nial and Alair and Prince of the Landen-Satera Kindgom. While living on the satellite Alisa III, his parents notice a satellite just like the one they are living in, only to see it blow up. Aron is tasked to find out what happened.|
|Kara (Luna) Kay Eshyr (Princess)|
|Kara is daughter of Lune and niece of Alair. If Nial married Alair, she joins during the beginning of Aron's scenario and can also be recruited by Adan in his own scenario. This version of Kara has a ladylike attitude and can use Heal and Order class techniques while having low physical stats.|
|Kara (Luna) Kay Eshyr (Warrior)|
|This is the other Kara from Sean and Crys' scenario. In this timeline Kara's kindgom was destroyed and as a result she is a much more aggressive and beligerent person. Disgusted by her father's weakness, she joins with either Sean or Crys.
This version of Kara can only use Melee class techniques but has much better physical stats. Originally she was supposed to be defeated just like Sari but appearently this was later dropped. Her enemy sprite can be found on game's files.
(*) There seems to be a confusion regarding the term Cyborg in Phantasy Star III. Cyborg is used to describe half-human and half-robotic individuals and none of the "Cyborgs" in the game has any organic bodies. Correct term should be "Android" which is later correctly used in Phantasy Star IV for describing Wren and Demi. It is unkown whether this is a developer oversight or translation error.
- Foi: Fire damage. Affects single enemy but quite powerful.
- Gra: Gravity damage. Affects all targets but weaker than other techniques.
- Tsu: Water damage. Can affect enemies on the either left or right side of screen.
- Zan: Wind damage. Affects either upper or lower row of enemies.
- Anti: Removes poison status. Affects single ally. May not always work.
- Res: Recovers health. Affects single ally.
- GiRes: Recovers health of all team members.
- Rever: Recovers from zero HP.
- Fanbi: Raises attack power of selected ally.
- Forsa: Kills targeted enemy. Rarely works, never against bosses.
- NaSak: Kills user but heals every other party member.
- Shu: Raises defense of selected ally.
- Deban: Prevents single enemy from attacking. Rarely works.
- Ner: Increases speed of one ally.
- Rimit: Increases chances to escape from battle.
- Shiza: Prevents single enemy from using techniques.
|Language||Localised Name||English Translation|
|English (US)||Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom||Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom|
|Japanese||時の継承者 ファンタシースターIII||Toki no Keishousha: Phantasy Star III|
- Written and Directed by: S2
- Co-Writer, Co-Director: Yang Watt
- Art Director: L-R-Valley
- Chief Character Designer: Toyo Ozaki
- Chief Scroll Designer: Roger Arm
- Music Composer: Ippo
- Chief Programmer: Sweeper
- Special Effect: F.G.C
- Assistant Programmer: Will Cane
- Assistant Designer: Tsugu
- Assistant Director: Bros 400
- Special Thanks: Ossale Kohta, Phenix Rie, Yoshibon, Com Blue, Muuuu Yuji, Mad Hatter, Minoge, Kyz, Moritan, Papa, Kyamura, L.C., and, Chiemushi
- Produced and Programmed by: Tsukapon
- Presented by: Sega Enterprises
- Main article: Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom/Magazine articles.
Mega Drive version
|Sega Retro Average|
|Mega Drive, FR|
|Mega Drive, SE (Rental)|
|Mega Drive, AS†|
Virtual Console version
ROM dump status
- Phantasy Star IV section at Phantasy Star Cave
- Sega of Japan Virtual Console pages: Mega Drive
- Nintendo catalogue pages: US, UK, AU
- Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom on Steam
- File:PhantasyStar3 MD JP Box.jpg
- https://sega.jp/history/hard/megadrive/software.html (Wayback Machine: 2020-07-20 09:51)
- GamePro, "June 1991" (US; 1991-xx-xx), page 40
- File:CGW US 088.pdf, page 70
- Sega Power, "December 1991" (UK; 1991-10-30), page 21
- https://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/vc/software/07.html (Wayback Machine: 2018-03-05 23:01)
- http://vc.sega.jp:80/vc_ps3/ (Wayback Machine: 2008-05-01 09:15)
- http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/80huxWP6YGcMPIZcqGHDcosf8D7GcidJ (Wayback Machine: 2010-11-23 02:22)
- http://www.nintendolife.com/games/megadrive/phantasy_star_iii (Wayback Machine: 2017-06-25 05:50)
- https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Virtual-Console-Wii-/Phantasy-Star-III-Generations-of-Doom--278502.html (archive.today)
- http://www.nintendo.com.au/index.php?action=catalogue&prodcat_id=41&prod_id=19756&pageID=4 (Wayback Machine: 2012-04-03 01:39)
- https://steamdb.info/app/211204/ (Wayback Machine: 2019-11-07 02:29)
- http://steamdb.info/app/211204/ (Wayback Machine: 2013-05-22 19:18)
- http://steamdb.info/app/211204/ (Wayback Machine: 2019-11-07 02:29)
- Beep! MegaDrive, "May 1990" (JP; 1990-04-07), page 107 (109)
- Sega Saturn Magazine, "September 1995" (JP; 1995-08-08), page 87
- Consoles +, "Octobre 1991" (FR; 1991-10-05), page 40-43 (40)
- Electronic Gaming Monthly, "May 1991" (US; 1991-xx-xx), page 16
- Game Mania, "May 1993" (UK; 1993-xx-xx), page 80
- GamePro, "August 1991" (US; 1991-xx-xx), page 38/39 (56)
- Joypad, "Octobre 1991" (FR; 1991-09-17), page 51-53 (51)
- Joystick, "Octobre 1991" (FR; 1991-xx-xx), page 126/127 (126)
- Mega Play, "May/June 1991" (US; 1991-xx-xx), page 44
- MegaTech, "Xmas 1991" (UK; 1991-12-06), page 79
- Player One, "Novembre 1991" (FR; 1991-xx-xx), page 50-53 (50)
- Sega Power, "December 1991" (UK; 1991-10-30), page 20-23 (20)