Super Fantasy Zone
From Sega Retro
|Super Fantasy Zone|
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive, Virtual Console|
|Developer: Sunsoft M2|
|Sound driver: Sunsoft sound driver|
|Number of players: 1|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Super Fantasy Zone (スーパーファンタジーゾーン) is an entry in the Fantasy Zone series of games, and was initially released in 1992 for the Sega Mega Drive. Unlike previous outings, Super Fantasy Zone was handled entirely by Sunsoft (under license from Sega), who had previously brought Fantasy Zone and Fantasy Zone II to the Nintendo Famicom.
For unknown reasons the game was not released in cartridge form in North America, but is currently unconfirmed as being a Sega Channel title. It eventually saw a more widespread release as part of the Wii's Virtual Console service and was included on the Mega Drive Mini.
Like others in the series, Super Fantasy Zone is a multi-directional side scrolling shooter. Players control Opa-Opa and are tasked with shooting and destroying "bases" littered across levels, before fighting a boss. For the most part, gameplay is identical to the original Fantasy Zone, ignoring features such as the warps from Fantasy Zone II.
|Stage 1: Picknica|
|A bright forest with a mountain lake background.|
|Stage 2: Kazarne|
|This level is a fiery volcanic land.|
|Stage 3: Niagaro|
|Large waterfalls fall from the sky in this level with large clouds floating around the air.|
|Stage 4: Risscave|
|A very dark cavern, it's very hard to see in here. The Super Lights will enhance your visibility here.|
|Stage 5: Grandiuss|
|This level consists of a desert landscape, with canyons in the background.|
|Stage 6: Le-Picker|
|The floor glows bright with electric in this stage, and Opa-Opa will need the Rubber Boots to safely stand on it.|
|Stage 7: Aflorious|
|Big bubbles make up the floor, with a bright rainbow in the background.|
|Stage 8: Menone|
These are the starting prices for the items in the shop. The prices for these items increase as you purchase more of them.
(Hurricane is misspelled as "Harricane" in this game)
|Big Wings 200 Gold.|
Jet Engine 5,000 Gold.
|Wide Beam 1,000 Gold.|
Laser Beam 4,000 Gold.
|Twin Bombs 200 Gold.|
Quartet Missiles 1,000 Gold.
|Ultra Bomb 2,000 Gold.|
Heavy Bomb 2,000 Gold.
|Extra Ship 5,000 Gold.|
Shield 40,000 Gold.
- Main article: Super Fantasy Zone/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
ROM dump status
- https://sega.jp/history/hard/megadrive/software_l.html (Wayback Machine: 2020-07-02 23:21)
- Beep! MegaDrive, "February 1992" (JP; 1992-01-08), page 25
- Sega Force, "January 1993" (UK; 1992-12-10), page 89
- http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/GRNFWY2mPxicCad67jpTgrsXby5sHBc8 (Wayback Machine: 2010-11-23 00:51)
- http://www.nintendolife.com/games/megadrive/super_fantasy_zone (Wayback Machine: 2017-07-04 12:24)
- https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Virtual-Console-Wii-/Super-Fantasy-Zone--279492.html (archive.today)
- https://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/vc/software/07.html (Wayback Machine: 2018-03-05 23:01)
- http://vc.sega.jp:80/vc_sfz/ (Wayback Machine: 2008-05-10 10:38)
- http://www.nintendo.com.au/index.php?action=catalogue&prodcat_id=41&prod_id=19779&pageID=4 (Wayback Machine: 2012-04-03 02:25)
- Beep! MegaDrive, "February 1992" (JP; 1992-01-08), page 35
- Consoles +, "Février 1992" (FR; 1992-0x-xx), page 52
- Console XS, "June/July 1992" (UK; 1992-04-23), page 134
- Hippon Super, "February 1992" (JP; 1992-01-07), page 96
- Joypad, "Mars 1992" (FR; 1992-02-1x), page 100
- Joypad, "Février 1993" (FR; 1993-0x-xx), page 180
- Joystick, "Mars 1992" (FR; 1992-0x-xx), page 140
- Sega Mega Drive Advanced Gaming, "September 1992" (UK; 1992-xx-xx), page 80
- Sega Mega Drive Advanced Gaming, "January 1993" (UK; 199x-xx-xx), page 94
- MegaTech, "March 1992" (UK; 1992-02-20), page 48
- Player One, "Décembre 1992" (FR; 1992-12-10), page 92
- Play Time, "(8/9)/92" (DE; 1992-07-08), page 92
- Play Time, "5/93" (DE; 1993-04-07), page 117
- Sega Pro, "March 1992" (UK; 1992-02-20), page 56
- Sega Pro, "April 1993" (UK; 1993-03-11), page 68
- Sega Force, "January 1993" (UK; 1992-12-10), page 88
- Sega Saturn Magazine, "September 1995" (JP; 1995-08-08), page 85
- Tricks 16 bit, "Tricks Sega Gold 800 igr" (RU; 1998-xx-xx), page 252
|Super Fantasy Zone|