Virtua Fighter 5
From Sega Retro
|Virtua Fighter 5|
|System(s): Sega Lindbergh, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360|
Virtua Fighter 5 (バーチャファイター5) is a fighting game developed by Sega AM2 for the Sega Lindbergh arcade platform. It is the fifth game in the Virtua Fighter series and a sequel to Virtua Fighter 4. The original arcade version of Virtua Fighter 5 was a debut title for the Sega Lindbergh arcade system board, along with The House of the Dead 4, also released in 2005. The arcade version of Virtua Fighter 5 was only released in Japan. However, it received home conversions for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 which were released internationally.
The Xbox 360 version of the game is titled Virtua Fighter 5 Live Arena (バーチャファイター5 Live Arena) in Japan and Virtua Fighter 5 Online in the US. It includes updates made to the arcade's "Version C" revision, and an online play mode. The PlayStation 3 version is a port of "Version B".
- 1 Gameplay
- 2 Downloadable content
- 3 Production credits
- 4 Digital manuals
- 5 Magazine articles
- 6 Promotional material
- 7 Artwork
- 8 Physical scans
- 9 Technical information
- 10 External links
- 11 References
- Main article: Virtua Fighter 5/Achievements.
- Main article: Virtua Fighter 5/Downloadable content.
- Producer: Noriyuki Shimoda
- Director: Yoshihiro Tsuzuku
- Progeammers: Hitoshi Iizawa, Ryutaro Hayakawa, Junichiro Matsuura, Takuji Masuda, Masanori Sakurai, Takashi Kato, Takuya Nagayasu, Kensuke Ito
- Desingers: Takehiko Mikami, Kazuya Suzuki, Satoshi Andou, Hiroshi Kandou, Ryo Shibasaki, Akihito Hiroyoshi, Kozue Suzuki, Nobuyuki Fujiki, Shungo Seki, Tohru Ikeuchi, Eisuke Abe, Tomoyuki Nishiguchi, Masayuki Ito, Shinya Shimada, Miku Sato, Ai Komazaki, Masayuki Takahashi, Seui Aoki, Daisuke Ueoka, Nobuyuki Eguchi, Norikazu Hirai, Yoshinari Itoh
- Planners: Tohru Murayama, Yoshiyuki Okitsu, Tatsuya Muta, Hiroshi Ito
- Sound Creators: Tatsutoshi Narita, Shinichi Goto, Fumio Ito, Tomoya Koga, Naoyuki Machida, Kazuki Takagi
- Maketing: Yasushi Yamashita, Toshirou Nakayama
- Promotion: Mitsuru Takahashi, Yasushi Nagumo, Takayoshi Ohuchi, Takeshi Oosaki
- Sales: Akira Nomoto, Koji Nagata, Toru Yasuda, Takeshi Shimizu, Akihide Ichimura
- Localization Support: Shinobu Shindo, Nobuyuki Minato, Yuri Maita, Mari Yamazaki
- Product Test: Junichi Shimizu, Akira Nishikawa, Hiroyuki Miyano, Satoshi Kuwano, Hidaka Ogasawara, Tadaomi Fujita, Takanasa Miura, Sunao Murayama, Yuji Nakamura, Hiroki Yamada
- Production Support: Yoshihiro Sakuta, Hisakazu Nakagawa, Toshiki Yamaguchi, Makoto Nighino, Yoshitake Ohta, Yoshiharu Honda, Kazunori Yagi, Nobuyuki Inoue, Hitoshi Kurosawa, Manabu Hasegawa, Tomoki Kaji, Kazushige Sasaki
- President/COO: Simon Jeffery
- Producer: Justin Lambros
- Senior Product Marketing Manager: Erica Mason, Andy Alamano, Rick Naylor, Osamu Shibamiya, Derrek Peel, Jenifer Groeling, Charles Scibetta
- Staff: Deni Skeens, Josh Morton, Rhianna Kellom, Nestor Protacaio, Rey Buzon, Stephen Akana, Andrew Byrne, Joe Floyo, Chris Olson, Lawrence Mann, Sue Hughes, Junior Sison, Scott A. Steinberg, Jason Mahar, Heather Lucchetti
- Senior Producer, Localisation: Akiko Uchida
- Senior Brand Manager: Thomas Mahoney, Kuniyo Matsumoto, Mark Le Breton, Nelson De Gouveia, Remi Mckenzie, Jigar Patel, Richard Haw
- Staff: Marta Lois Gonzalez, Giuseppe Rizzo, Antonella Marras, Luis J. Paredes, Danilea Kaynert, Brigitte Nadesan, Antonio Catanese, Jay Bannmuller, Carole Kuzelmann, Sebastian Perez Salguero, Clement Hardy, Jaron Scholz, Javier Vidal Fimia, Goffredo Pagliei
- Special Thanks: Shinya Izumi, Makoto Sato, Masahito Ito, Ken Nishimoto, Koju Hashimoto, Tsutomu Morohashi, Masato Nakamura, Masataka Arai, Bill Seward, Fred Tayasciore, 81 Produce Co. Ltd., Compozila Co. Ltd., Action Actor Group Katsugekiza, Wataru Koga, Motoki Kawana, Virtua Fighter 5 Arcade Team, Naoya Tsurumi, Masanao Maeda, Hiroshi Kataoka
- Created By: Sega AM2
- Presented by: Sega
- Main article: Virtua Fighter 5/Magazine articles.
Xbox 360 version
PlayStation 3 version
|PlayStation 3, JP (Sega the Best)|
|PlayStation 3, AU (Essentials)|
|PlayStation 3, UK (Essentials)|
|PlayStation 3, DE (Essentials)|
|PlayStation 3, KR (BigHit)|
|PlayStation 3, AS†|
Virtua Fighter 5 significantly increased the polygon counts over its predecessor. According to Sega, each character in Virtua Fighter 5 uses over 40,000 polygons and each background uses up to 300,000 polygons, with diffuse reflection, specular reflection, bump mapping, and normal mapping, at 60 frames per second. This was the highest character polygon count at the time, giving it the most detailed character graphics of its time. In comparison, the Xbox 360 game Gears of War used 10,000 to 15,000 polygons for its characters in 2006, and even the PC game Crysis used 24,000 polygons for its characters in 2007. Virtua Fighter 5's character polygon count was unsurpassed until Ninja Gaiden II in 2008.
The game's engine introduces several new graphical features, including self-shadowing and HDRI (high-dynamic-range imaging).
Like its predecessors, Virtua Fighter 5 was considered to have the most advanced graphics in a video game when it first released in arcades. According to 1UP in 2005, it was the "best looking fighter (or even game) ever", with the writer Shivam Bhatt stating:
- "Sega makes grand use of its new Lindbergh hardware, and it really shines through in their character models and level designs. In the City level, the fight takes place on wet pavement scattered with puddles all around. These puddles react and reflect in a remarkably realistic manner as the fighters run around the room. The Temple level features fallen sakura blossoms that fly around whenever the characters move. Each level features lots of neat visual tricks like this, adding to the overall appeal of the game."
- "Of course, one only noticed such things if they could peel their eyes off of the amazing new character models. ... The characters of VF5 are of that caliber, with amazingly realistic muscle tone, skin shading, sweat, and motions. Jeffrey benefits a lot from this upgrade, as the individual hairs on his arms are shown in remarkable detail. ... I lost a match simply because I was too busy staring at Lei Fei and Lion move around the arena in a fluid dance. Even button mashing looks pretty, as every move links into the next smoothly, without sudden jerkiness as the game reacts to each button press."
According to GamersXtreme in 2012, the game's graphics "still holds up to today’s standards, and in some ways still surpasses them", and "lighting effects are absolutely phenomenal, even by today’s standards."
- Official website on Sega.com (English) (offline)
- Sega of Japan catalogue pages (Japanese): Arcade, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
- Virtua Fighter 5 on Xbox Marketplace: JP, US, UK, AU, KR
- Virtua Fighter 5 on PlayStation.com: JP, JP (Sega the Best), US, UK, KR (BigHit)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/bljm60016.html (archived: 2008-06-04 02:29)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/bljm60117.html (archived: 2008-12-14 04:16)
- http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/v/virtuafighter5/ (archived: 2008-08-07 17:17)
- http://www.xbox.com:80/fr-FR/games/v/virtuafighter5/ (archived: 2008-12-04 08:56)
- http://www.xbox.com:80/de-DE/games/v/virtuafighter5/ (archived: 2009-04-04 07:58)
- http://xbox.com:80/es-ES/games/v/virtuafighter5/ (archived: 2009-04-01 04:57)
- http://www.xbox.com:80/it-IT/games/v/virtuafighter5/ (archived: 2009-04-03 08:25)
- File:Virtua Fighter 5 Fact Sheet 360.pdf
- http://www.xbox.com:80/en-US/games/v/virtuafighter5/ (archived: 2008-12-01 23:27)
- http://sega.jp/x/vf5/ (archived: 2009-02-16 09:57)
- http://www.xbox.com/en-AU/games/v/virtuafighter5/ (archived: 2008-07-24 14:48)
- http://www.xbox.com:80/ko-KR/games/v/virtuafighter5/ (archived: 2008-02-16 03:07)
- http://www.xbox.com:80/en-CA/games/v/virtuafighter5/ (archived: 2008-10-13 16:43)
- http://marketplace.xbox.com:80/fr-FR/Product/Virtua-Fighter-5/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802534507ee (archived: 2010-12-03 17:00)
- http://marketplace.xbox.com:80/en-US/Product/Virtua-Fighter-5/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802534507ee (archived: 2010-10-31 18:22)
- http://marketplace.xbox.com:80/en-GB/Product/Virtua-Fighter-5/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802534507ee (archived: 2010-11-16 15:19)
- http://marketplace.xbox.com:80/en-AU/Product/Virtua-Fighter-5/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802534507ee (archived: 2010-11-28 14:57)
- http://marketplace.xbox.com:80/ja-JP/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802534507ee (archived: 2009-09-23 14:29)
- http://marketplace.xbox.com/ko-kr/Product/Virtua-Fighter-5/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802534507ee (archived: 2018-07-17 23:10)
|Virtua Fighter 5|