Virtua Fighter 2 (Mega Drive)
From Sega Retro
- For the 3D fighter of which this game is based on, see Virtua Fighter 2.
|Virtua Fighter 2|
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive, Virtual Console, iOS, Steam|
|Sound driver: SMPS Z80|
|Peripherals supported: Six Button Control Pad|
|Number of players: 1-2|
Its true name is debatable. Though all box art simply calls it Virtua Fighter 2, the North American title screen calls it Virtua Fighter 2 Genesis and the European (and Japanese - the ROM is identical for all regions) call it Virtua Fighter 2 Mega Drive.
Virtua Fighter 2 is a vastly watered down version of Virtua Fighter 2, a game originally released for Sega Model 2A CRX arcade hardware in 1995 (and subsequently ported to the Sega Saturn. Unlike any other version of Virtua Fighter 2, this on the Mega Drive is rendered entirely in 2D, with more traditional hand-drawn sprites replacing the motion-captured 3D models of the arcade game.
While the core concepts of Virtua Fighter 2 are retained in this Mega Drive variant, the game is significantly slower than its 3D counterparts, and is supported by simpler graphics and sound. Newcomers Lion and Shun are not present in this Mega Drive version, limiting the cast to that of the original Virtua Fighter. Many voice samples are also missing.
While players only ever have control over two axes at any one point in the arcade Virtua Fighter 2, moves and collisions will cause the fighting angle of the arena to change, giving gameplay a pseudo 3D feel. Here no such system is in place, and while rendering techniques help to give the floor an illusion of depth, players never move in or out of the screen under any circumstances. A side effect to this system means that only one "side" of an arena's background needed to be drawn, and so the perspective problems witnessed in the Saturn and PC versions are not an issue here.
Many of the arcade game's moves have been axed, however roughly 700 remain (putting it on a par with the original Virtua Fighter).
An emulated version of this game more frequently rereleased than the "real" Virtua Fighter 2, being included as part of 2006's Sega Mega Drive Collection, as well as on the Wii Virtual Console service in 2007, and later on Steam and iOS devices. The iOS version was removed from sale on iTunes in 2015.
- Main article: Virtua Fighter 2 (Mega Drive)/Changelog.
- Executive Producers: Minoru Kanari, Toshihisa Ugata, Masato Noguchi
- Producer: Junichi Tsuchiya
- Director & Planner: Hideki Anbo
- Programmers: Tomohiro Ishigai, Hiroaki Koiso, Kouji Otsuka
- Graphic Director: Masanori Oe
- Character Graphic Designers: Shinichi Matsuoka, Tomomi Yano, Shungo Yamasaki, Takeshi Takahashi, Ken Shimizu, Hajime Okano, Hidehiko Tsukamoto, Naosuke Ishizuka, Tomoyuki Fumotogawa, Yusuke Komatsu, Rie Nakao, Satoshi Nakai, Kouichirou Kobayashi, Kouichi Kiga
- Scroll Graphic Designers: Takuya Saito, Atsushi Tsuyuki, Junko Kawaura, Motoi Nakamura
- Sound Director: Shogo Sakai
- Sound Designer: Hitoshi Ohori, Tomohiro Endo
- Special Thanks: AM R&D Dept. #2, Hiroshi Asou, Ryoichi Hasegawa, Noboru Machida, Yoshihiro Suzuki, Acura Otani, Akihisa Suwa, Takato Yoshinari, Takashi Egawano, Yasushi Sugiyama, Katsuji Aoyama, Yoshitaka Maki, Yoshiaki Kashima, Masaru Setsumaru, Masaharu Nakayama, Wataru Oguri, Hiroyuki Tsutsumi, Akira Oda
- Main article: Virtua Fighter 2 (Mega Drive)/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
| Based on|
- Sega of Japan Virtual Console pages: Mega Drive
- Nintendo catalogue pages: US, UK, AU
- Virtua Fighter 2 on iTunes: JP, US, UK (offline)
- Virtua Fighter 2 on Steam
- Ultra Game Players, "January 1997" (US; 199x-xx-xx), page 67
- Computer & Video Games, "January 1997" (UK; 1996-12-11), page 84
- https://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/vc/software/02.html (archived: 2018-03-05 23:11)
- http://vc.sega.jp:80/vc_vf2/ (archived: 2007-03-20 22:19)
- http://www.nintendo.com:80/games/detail/yAfz0Y3-G4CQFYZbUeNfN41ocWzrGFMM (archived: 2011-01-23 17:48)
- http://www.nintendolife.com/games/megadrive/virtua_fighter_2 (archived: 2017-07-04 07:38)
- http://www.nintendo.com.au/index.php?action=catalogue&prodcat_id=41&prod_id=19787&pageID=4 (archived: 2012-04-03 02:48)
- http://steamdb.info/app/71115/ (archived: 2013-05-22 21:20)
- https://steamdb.info/app/71115/ (archived: 2017-05-25 05:13)
- http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/virtua-fighter-2/id413313931?mt=8 (archived: 2011-02-14 14:02)
- http://blogs.sega.com/2011/10/25/prices-so-low-theyre-scary/ (archived: 2017-08-29 16:30)
- http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/virtua-fighter-2/id413313931?mt=8 (archived: 2011-02-10 20:15)
- http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/18/8622645/sega-pulls-games-from-itunes-app-store-google-play (archived: 2017-11-08 17:39)
- http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/virtua-fighter-2/id413313931?mt=8 (archived: 2013-06-01 03:10)
- Joypad, "Décembre 1996" (FR; 1996-xx-xx), page 92 (88)
- Mean Machines Sega, "January 1997" (UK; 1996-12-06), page 74-75 (74)
|Virtua Fighter 2 (Mega Drive)|