Lakers versus Celtics and the NBA Playoffs
From Sega Retro
|Lakers versus Celtics and the NBA Playoffs|
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive|
| Developer: |
Robert Weatherby, Electronic Arts
|Number of players: 1-2|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Lakers versus Celtics and the NBA Playoffs is a 1989 basketball game for IBM PCs by Electronic Arts. EA ported it to the Sega Mega Drive in 1990. Lakers versus Celtics was the first basketball game to be licensed by the NBA (though curiously acquired the players' name rights without going through the NBA Players Association). For its time, Lakers versus Celtics was considered to be the top basketball video game on the market, and was highly received by the press.
The Mega Drive version, though very similar to the original DOS game in nature, makes some slight adjustments to reflect the teams taking part in the 1990 NBA Playoffs (as opposed to the original's 1989 roster). As a result, the Seattle SuperSonics, New York Knicks and Jazz are replaced with the Portland Trail Blazers, Philadelphia 76ers and San Antonio Spurs, respectively.
Though the North American version of the game is relatively common (as are its "sequels", Bulls vs Lakers and the NBA Playoffs and Bulls versus Blazers and the NBA Playoffs), the European version of the game is abnormally rare, to the point where for many years, its existence was widely doubted. It has been suggested that EA originally ran into legal troubles when it came licensing the game in Europe, and may have had to recall copies of the game shortly after release. According to an old Electronic Arts spreadsheet 192 copies of the game left EA but only 13 are known to have surfaced. A copy went on sale on ebay on 26 June 2017 attracting bids above £9000. Supposedly it was set to be re-released as EA Basketball in 1992, though this never happened.
- Genesis Programming by: Jesse K.Taylor IV, Carl Mey, John Tomlinson
- Graphics and Animation by: Paul Vernon, Arthur Koch, Cynthia Hamilton, Peggy Brennan
- Sound and Music by: Rob Hubbard
- Technical Director: Richard Hicks
- Produced by: Don Traeger and Jim Rushing
- Assistant Producers: Jon Horsley, Michael Meischeid, Happy Keller
- Original Design by: Robert Weatherby
- Source: In-game credits
- Main article: Lakers versus Celtics and the NBA Playoffs/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
| Based on|
|Mega Drive, US|
ROM dump status
- The story behind the 26-year-old Mega Drive basketball game getting £8000 bids on eBay at www.eurogamer.net
- GamePro, "January 1991" (US; 199x-xx-xx), page 47
- Electronic Gaming Monthly, "February 1991" (US; 1991-xx-xx), page 26
- Sega Pro, "November 1991" (UK; 1991-xx-xx), page 9
- MegaTech, "Xmas 1991" (UK; 1991-12-06), page 8
- Sega Visions, "October/November 1990" (US; 1990-xx-xx), page 40
- Game Players Sega Guide!, "Vol. 1, No. 1" (US; 199x-xx-xx), page 2
- Computer & Video Games, "April 1991" (UK; 1991-03-16), page 90-92 (90)
- GamePro, "January 1991" (US; 199x-xx-xx), page 44-45 (46)
- Joystick, "Juillet/Août 1991" (FR; 1991-xx-xx), page 168
- MegaTech, "Xmas 1991" (UK; 1991-12-06), page 79
- Sega Power, "October 1991" (UK; 1991-09-05), page 53
- Sega Pro, "February 1992" (UK; 1992-01-16), page 18