- For the Sega Saturn game, see FIFA 97.
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
FIFA 97: Gold Edition (packaged simply as FIFA 97) is the "16-bit" version of FIFA 97, released for the Sega Mega Drive (and Super Nintendo) in 1996.
Similarly to its predecessor, FIFA Soccer 96, the Mega Drive version was released as an isometric game, building on an engine first seen in 1993's FIFA International Soccer. Though it attempts to bring FIFA 97's selling points over to the then-limited hardware (indoor stadiums being the primary example), gameplay for the most part is identical to prior FIFA games, lacking any attempt to include the much hyped "Virtual Stadium" technology of the "3D" versions of the game.
Similar to FIFA 96, FIFA 97 was ported to the Super NES and released around the same period as the Mega Drive version. The results are very similar to the previous game - while most of the graphics have been re-drawn to better suit the system, the Super NES port runs with a significantly lower frame rate than its Sega counterpart (although performance is improved slightly on FIFA 96 in busy scenes).
- Produced By: Extended Play Productions
- Developed By: XYZ Productions
- Programmers - XYZ: Umrao Mayer, John Jacecko
- Artist - XYZ: George Simmons
- Animator: David Demorest
- Animation Rendering: John Rix, Craig Hui
- Art Direction: David Adams
- Audio Lead: Chris Taylor
- Music and SFX: Michael J. Sokryrka, Joel Simmons, Omar Al-Khafaji
- Executive Producer: Bruce McMillan
- Line Producers: Marc Aubanel, Robert Leingang
- Associate Producer: Heidi Newell
- Development Director: Dylan Miklashek
- Assistant Producer: Nicholas Wlodyka
- Technical Director: Kevin Pickell
- Product Managers: Paula Burt, Margaret Murray
- QA Coordinator: Steve Livaja
- QA Lead Tester: Josh Holmes
- QA Backup Lead: Trevor Kerslake
- Testers: Darcy Pajak, Phong Lam, Evan Stanfield, Avinash Narayan, Mike Samilski, Steven Wong, Desmond Jim, Martin Katzenmeier, Zech Prinz, Jason Dong, Alvin Marte
- Language Testing: Michael Gievers, Sylvain Caburrosso, Markus Hoc
- Mastering: Rob Purewal, Peter Petkov, Cary Chao
- Special Thanks: Brian Plank, Shawn Taras, Dave Hards, Erik Kiss, Ted Sylka, Robert Bailey, Jackie Ritchie, Penny Lee, Tony Lam, Masahiko Yoshizawa, M. James Schulte, Tamara Pearl, Louise Read, Roslynn Drewitt, Paul Smith, Warren Wall, Kevin Loh, Mike Smith, Dave Hewson, Doug Casey, Alistair Sutherland, Wyatt Chang, John Santamaria, The Fifa '97 Development Team
- Source: In-game credits
- Main article: FIFA 97: Gold Edition/Magazine articles.
Print advert in Sega Magazin
(DE) #40: "März 1997" (1997-02-12)
| Based on|
| Mega Drive, US
| Mega Drive, EU
| Mega Drive, BR
ROM dump status
|| Build Date
|| Cartridge (US/EU)