This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Toughman Contest is a Sega Mega Drive boxing game developed by High Score Productions and published by Electronic Arts. Released in Europe in March 1995, it was later released in the United States that July. Based on the titular amateur boxing competition, the game was ported to the Sega 32X by developer Visual Concepts and published worldwide in June 1995.
Toughman Contest is an over-the-shoulder boxing game, featuring a player character represented by a green wireframe, and dodge-punch gameplay directly based on Nintendo's 1984 arcade game Punch-Out!!.
The Sega 32X version of Toughman Contest boasts higher quality speech samples and expanded background colors over the Sega Mega Drive original.
Source: In-game credits
- Designed by: Michael Rubinelli
- Developed by: Visual Concepts Entertainment, Inc.
- Programming by: Tim Meekins
- 32X Programming by: Roderick L. Mann
- Lead Artist: Colin Silverman
- Graphic Artists: Heather Snitzer, Peter Wong, Nelson Wang, Dale Henderscheid, Matthew Crysdale
- Project Manager: Jeffrey J. Thomas
- Technical Assistance: Stephen Theodore Chiang
- Sound: Brian Schmidt
- Music: Brian Schmidt
- Executive Producer: Scott Orr
- Producer: Michael Rubinelli
- Assistant Producer: Scott Wilkinson
- Testers: Foster Birch, Marc Gilliland, Sean House, Michael Caldwell
- Technical Director: David Walker
- Product Manager: H. Erik Whiteford
- Licensed by: Adore Ltd.
- Special Thanks: Arthur Dore Sr., Kevin Hogan, Eric Esch (Butter Bean), Gordon Bellamy, Coolio, Spoon, Shelly Haute, Cheri Fischer
Source: US manual
- Package Design: E.J. Sarraille Design Group
- Package Photo: David Martinez
- Package Art Director: Nancy Waisanen
- Documentation: Paul "Knuckle-Dragger" Armatta & David "Buzz-Saw" Lee
- Documentation Layout: Tom Peters and The Gin Brothers
- Testing Manager: Al Roireau
- Quality Assurance: James "Saved-by-the-Bell" Abney, Mike Gong
- Special Thanks To: Joe Bob
- Main article: Toughman Contest/Magazine articles.
Print advert in GamePro
(US) #69: "April 1995" (1995-xx-xx)
Mega Drive version
|Mega Drive, US
|Mega Drive, EU
|Mega Drive, SE (Rental)
|Mega Drive, AU (PAL)
|Mega Drive, AU (NTSC-U)
ROM dump status
- ↑ File:ToughmanContest MD SE Box Rental.jpg
- ↑ GamePro, "May 1995" (US; 1995-xx-xx), page 44
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Mean Machines Sega, "April 1995" (UK; 1995-02-28), page 79
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Sega Magazine, "April 1995" (UK; 1995-03-15), page 80
- ↑ Computer & Video Games, "April 1995" (UK; 1995-03-15), page 88
- ↑ Games World Magazin, "" (DE; 1995-0x-xx), page 79
- ↑ Consoles +, "Avril 1995" (FR; 1995-0x-xx), page 90/91 (90)
- ↑ Computer & Video Games, "April 1995" (UK; 1995-03-15), page 88-89 (88)
- ↑ Mean Machines Sega, "April 1995" (UK; 1995-02-28), page 78/79 (79)
- ↑ Player One, "Avril 1995" (FR; 1995-0x-xx), page 102/103 (102)
- ↑ VideoGames, "May 1995" (US; 1995-0x-xx), page 92-93 (92)
- ↑ Hyper, "October 1995" (AU; 1995-xx-xx), page 68