NHL Hockey (Mega Drive)
From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive|
|Sound driver: Electronic Arts/Rob Hubbard|
|Number of players: 1-2|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
NHL Hockey on the Mega Drive follows in the footsteps of Electronic Arts' John Madden Football, being the first in what would become an annual tradition of the company launching North American licensed ice hockey games for home consoles. It was also the first game to use official NHL licensing since a 1979 NHL Hockey hockey game for the Intellivision.
NHL Hockey takes a top-down approach to the sport, with a vertical rink that scrolls depending on where the puck is. It features all 24 NHL teams of the era and 500 players.
Like several of EA's Mega Drive sports games, NHL Hockey was a big success and led to a string of yearly sequels for the platform up to and including 1998. Virtually every 2D hockey game released by EA is thought to stem from this game, and many just consist of aesthetic and line-up changes.
The company was unable to obtain a full NHL license for its immediate successor, NHLPA Hockey '93, which although has officially licensed players, does not have officially licensed teams. Likewise EA Hockey (which uses unlicensed national teams) was sold outside of North America instead of this game.
- Team names and logos depicted are Officially Licensed Trademarks of the National Hockey League
- © NHL 1991
- Designed by: Scott Orr, Richard Hilleman, Michael Brook, Jim Simmons
- Developed by: Park Place Production Team
- Programmed by: Jim Simmons
- Graphics Design by: Brian O'Hara, Steve Quinn, Curt Toumanian
- Production Assistance by: Michael Knox, Troy Lyndon, Jim Haldy for Park Place Production Team
- Music and Sound by: Rob Hubbard
- Executive Producer: Richard Hilleman
- Produced by: Michael Brook
- Technical Director: Scott Cronce
- Assistant Producer: Ed Gwynn
- Special Thanks to: Mark Hughes and Scooter Hanson of the San Diego Gulls
- Main article: NHL Hockey (Mega Drive)/Magazine articles.
also published in:
|Sega Retro Average|
| Based on|
|Mega Drive, US|
ROM dump status