FIFA International Soccer
From Sega Retro
- For the Sega Game Gear and Sega Master System game, see FIFA International Soccer (8-bit). For the Sega Mega-CD game, see FIFA International Soccer: Championship Edition.
|FIFA International Soccer|
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive|
|Publisher: Electronic Arts (US, Europe), Electronic Arts Victor (Japan)|
|Developer: EA Canada|
|Sound driver: Electronic Arts/Kevin Pickell|
|Peripherals supported: 4 Way Play, Team Player|
|Number of players: 1-4|
|Official in-game languages: |
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
FIFA International Soccer (FIFA インターナショナルサッカー), is the first game in the long-running FIFA series, developed by EA Canada and published by Electronic Arts. It was released for the Sega Mega Drive in 1993, as well as several non-Sega consoles and computers in the following years. Prior to the publisher acquiring a FIFA license, the game was known as EA Sports Soccer.
In North America, the game appears to have been called Soccer '94 before release. This name can be seen on the box of (and advertising for) the 4 Way Play adapter.
Unlike later FIFA games which are presented in full 3D, FIFA International Soccer goes for an isometric perspective and has much simpler gameplay. Also, though it allows the user to play as official international teams, it does not feature official player names. Nevertheless, the combination of isometric graphics and a commentator set it aside from its rivals, namely the Sensible Soccer and Kick Off series.
The game was an instant hit, shipping 500,000 units at release in 1993, and was number one in the UK's ELSPA charts throughout most of December, before selling out and dropping from the top ten completely for several weeks. It would finally re-chart in mid-February following a re-stock, and would then remain around the top of the charts until the release of FIFA Soccer 95 a year later.
- Lead Programmer: Jan Tian
- Programmers: Brian Plank, Kevin Pickell
- Lead Artist: George Ashcroft
- Artists: Dianna Davies, David Adams, Suzan Germic, Mike Smith
- Music and Sound: Jeff Dyck
- Sound Technology: Kevin Pickell
- Producer: Bruce McMillan
- Development Director: Joey Della-Savia
- Associate Producer: Kevin Buckner, Matt Webster
- Game Design: Jan Tian, Matt Webster, Brian Plank, George Ashcroft, Kevin Pickell, Bruce McMillan, Joey Della-Savia
- Lead Testers: Lee Patterson, Bryan Beckstrand, Nick Goldsworthy
- Product Manager: Neil Thewarapperuma, Chip Lange
- Technical Director: Colin McLaughlan
- Executive Producers: Don Mattrick, Joss Ellis
- Special Thanks: Tony Waiters, Claudio Maurizio, Chris Tompson, David Wilson, Jules Burt, Jon Law, Stanley Chow
- FIFA Logo Copyright FIFA / DEYHLE 1977
- In-game credits
- Main article: FIFA International Soccer/Magazine articles.
- Main article: FIFA International Soccer/Promotional material.
|Sega Retro Average|
Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination
ROM dump status
- File:FIFA MD JP Box.jpg
- https://sega.jp/history/hard/megadrive/software_l.html (Wayback Machine: 2020-07-02 23:21)
- GamePro, "December 1993" (US; 1993-xx-xx), page 205
- Sega Magazine, "January 1994" (UK; 1993-12-10), page 98
- Computer & Video Games, "February 1995" (UK; 1995-01-15), page 81
- Mega Force, "Octobre 1993" (FR; 1993-10-08), page 22
- MAN!AC, "11/93" (DE; 1993-xx-xx), page 23
- Megazone, "December 1993" (AU; 1993-12-01), page 43
- Computer & Video Games, "September 1993" (UK; 1993-08-15), page 68
- Beep! MegaDrive, "July 1994" (JP; 1994-06-08), page 14 (16)
- Sega Saturn Magazine, "September 1995" (JP; 1995-08-08), page 83 (85)
- Computer & Video Games, "December 1993" (UK; 1993-11-15), page 96/97 (96)
- Computer & Video Games, "August 1994" (UK; 1994-07-15), page 111/115 (111)
- Edge, "December 1993" (UK; 1993-10-28), page 96/97 (96)
- GamePro, "December 1993" (US; 1993-xx-xx), page 185-188 (202)
- GamePro, "December 1993" (US; 1993-xx-xx), page 22/23 (22)
- Mean Machines Sega, "December 1993" (UK; 1993-10-xx), page 28-32 (28)
- Sega Magazine, "January 1994" (UK; 1993-12-10), page 98/99 (98)
|FIFA International Soccer|