From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Chihiro|
|Number of players: 1-2|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Gameplay is similar to the original OutRun, but with a number of new mechanics; Ridge Racer-style drifting and slipstreaming is the most obvious. A variety of Ferraris were introduced (courtesy of an official Ferrari license), a new set of 15 European-themed routes to drive through were developed, and the classic OutRun music was revisited and joined by new songs. A new "Heart Attack" mode was added where you have to fulfill various small challenges as you drive.
The original version of OutRun 2 features eight Ferraris. The cars are split into four "classes" with different values for acceleration, handling and top speed.
|Dino 246GTS (1969-1974)|
|The Testarossa (1984-1991) is the car used in the original Out Run (without permission from Ferrari) and stands as one of the more common and popular Ferraris in this game.|
|The Enzo Ferrari (2002-2004) is the newest model of Ferrari to in OutRun 2.|
|360 Spider (2001-2005)|
|GTS/4 Daytona or 365 GTS/4 (1971-1973)|
|288 GTO (1984-1985)|
|The F40 (1987-1992) is the car that found its way into Turbo OutRun, Battle OutRun and OutRun Europa (all without permission), with a GTE version appearing in Scud Race.|
Sequels and re-releases
OutRun 2 has yet to be followed by a new game, but there have been a number of updated versions and ports.
OutRun 2 SP is the major arcade update. This version features an entirely new set of routes focused around American locales, the ability to play all 15 routes in each set in a row, two new Ferraris to drive, and Turbo OutRun-esque rivals to overtake. Additionally, physics have been changed to be a bit more forgiving, and the original Out Run and Turbo OutRun music has been added.
OutRun 2 for the Xbox, despite the name, is a port of 2 SP with even more additions: a "Mission" mode, a further two new cars, online play, brand new arranges of the main Out Run songs by Richard Jacques plus various versions of the new OutRun 2 songs, and two new sets of driving routes based on Scud Race and Daytona USA 2: Power Edition (not available in any other version of the game). A direct port of the original Out Run is also unlockable.
OutRun 2 SP SDX is a port of 2 SP to stronger hardware and uses a higher resolution. It's also a very impressive cabinet!
OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast is yet another "better" port of 2 SP: the two cars from the Xbox version plus three new ones, a Coast 2 Coast mode based loosely on the old Mission mode (i.e. without its... stranger... missions) as well as on Heart Attack mode, and all the new music from the Xbox version plus yet more new arranges of the original OutRun tunes plus two new songs.
OutRun 2 SP for the PlayStation 2 is the only port released in Japan, and it's also a Japan exclusive. It is simply the PS2 version of OutRun 2006 with various refinements, and yet another set of arranges of the original Out Run music plus yet another new song.
OutRun Online Arcade is a no-frills download-only port of OutRun 2 SP (though it has online play), and has since been delisted.
It should be noted that there is no port of the original OutRun 2 (particularly its physics).
- Director: Makoto Osaki
- Game Director: Daichi Katagiri
- Art Director: Yasuo Kawagoshi
- Sound Director: Tatsutoshi Narita
- Main Programmer: Takuji Masuda
- Programmer: Takeshi Iwasaki, Susumu Morii, Masato Shimoyama, Kazunori Nishisaka
- Chief Designer: Yukitoshi Katsuyama
- Designer: Shigetaka Kyoya, Toshiya Inoue, Shinya Inoue, Erika Aihara, Yoshihiko Suzuki, Eisuke Abe, Rie Murai, Hitoshi Wakimoto
- Character Designer: Iceman, Miyuki Noda
- Assistant Director & Planner: Shin Ishikawa
- Sound: Keisuke Tsukahara, Fumio Itoh, Yasuhiro Takagi, Naoyuki Machida, Shinichi Goto, Tomoya Koga
- Public Relations: Naonori Watanabe, Hidekuni Ohta, Taku Kihara, Masayuki Kato, Nozomi Watanabe
- Special Thanks: Mami Abe, Ryutaro Hayakawa, Masayuki Itoh, Takashi Kato, All of SEGA-AM2 and SEGA Staff, , Compozila, Mechatro, Hardware R&D, and All People Concerned With This Title...
- Producer: Yu Suzuki
- Created by: Sega-AM2
- Presented by: Sega
- Source: In-game credits
- Main article: OutRun 2/Magazine articles.