Actions

SegaSoft

From Sega Retro

Revision as of 15:38, 13 November 2018 by Black Squirrel (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Segasoft logo.jpg
SegaSoft
Founded: 1995
Defunct: 2000
Merged into: Sega of America
Headquarters: Redwood City, California, USA (1995), San Fransisco, USA

This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.

SegaSoft,[1] later SegaSoft Networks was a sofware company formed in 1995 as a joint venture between Sega of America and Sega's then-parent company CSK following a corporate shake-up. CSK owned 60% of the company, while Sega of America owned the remaining 40%More...[2].

SegaSoft replaced Sega of America's product development group - the team behind several accessories for the Sega Mega Drive and Sega Saturn. 150 of mostly SoA staff moved to the department when it openedMore...[3]. Despite its name, it was pitched as an independent company from Sega with a focus on producing video games "for all platforms". This initially led to some speculation that it was CSK/Sega's back door for producing games for the PlayStationMore...[2], but in the end it chose only to serve the PC and Sega Saturn markets.

It was originally tasked with developing software, the group found itself publishing more software by the end of the decade, as well as maintaining perhaps their biggest achievement, the Heat.net multiplayer game system, which was adopted by numerous computer games over its short history. It was never wholly independent, sharing marketing and PR services with SoAMore...[3], and of course retained the "Sega" name, despite the relationship being publicly downplayed.

SegaSoft was part of a vision of a more streamlined and smaller Sega of America. Part of the reasoning behind this move was due to Bernie Stolar's dislike of the Saturn hardware - SegaSoft in fact developed the original white paper for the successor console, the Sega Dreamcast, of which development was subsequently clawed back by Sega of Japan and produced back in Sega's home country.

For all intents and purposes, SegaSoft disbanded in 2000, having lost its hardware division some months prior. Many of its staff were merged into Sega.com, another online-focused vehicle for Sega's US operations.

Softography

Saturn

Gallery

References

Overseas Sega companies, studios and subsidiaries
84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
CSK Sega Sammy Holdings
Sega of America
Sega Technical Institute
Sega Away Team
Sega Europe
Sega France Sega France
Sega España Sega España
Sega Interactive
Sega Germany Sega Germany
Sega Taiwan
Sega Benelux Sega Benelux
Sega Multimedia Studio
Sega Midwest Studio
Sega Amusements USA
Deith Leisure Sega Amusements Europe Sega Amusements International
Sega Total Solutions
Sega Prize Europe
Sega Music Group
SegaSoft
Sega Entertainment
No Cliche
Sega of America Dreamcast
Sonic Team USA Sega Studios USA
Visual Concepts
Sega.com
Sega Mobile Sega Networks Inc.
Sega Publishing Korea
Sega of China
The Creative Assembly
Sega Studios San Francisco
Sports Interactive
Sega Studios Australia
Three Rings Design
Relic Entertainment
Atlus USA
Demiurge Studios
Go Game
Amplitude Studios