Phantasy Star II
From Sega Retro
(Redirected from Phantasy Star II: Kaerazaru Toki no Owari ni)
- For the free Android and iOS versions, see Phantasy Star II (Sega Forever).
|Phantasy Star II|
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive, Virtual Console, Xbox 360, Steam, Android, iOS|
|Number of players: 1|
| Official in-game languages: |
Phantasy Star II, called Phantasy Star II: Kaerazaru Toki no Owari ni (ファンタシースターII 還らざる時の終わりに) in Japan, is the sequel to Phantasy Star and was developed and published by Sega for the Sega Mega Drive in 1989. It was the first RPG to be released for the system and is considered a highly influential release for the genre as a whole.
- 1 Gameplay
- 2 History
- 3 Versions
- 4 Production credits
- 5 Digital manuals
- 6 Magazine articles
- 7 Promotional material
- 8 Artwork
- 9 Physical scans
- 10 External links
- 11 References
The game has a nasty glitch that every player has to encounter: near the end of a game when you talk to Lutz in Esper Mansion after collecting all legendary items the music will hang on a single note at the start of a cutscene and will remain glitched. No sound effects will be heard. Other side effects can occur such as cutscene text becoming messy and the game can even crash in certain events.
Pausing and unpausing the game can fix the glitch, possibly while talking with Lutz or doing it in other circumstances. Saving, restarting and then loading a game works as well.
Interestingly enough, a single NPC in Paseo town speaks dialog lines from the previously mentioned glitched cutscene if you try to talk with him after completing Climatrol dungeon. Most likely a developer oversight.
- Main article: Phantasy Star II/Achievements.
At the time of release, Phantasy Star II was one of the biggest RPGs available for home consoles, and in turn one of the longest (and arguably more difficult) Mega Drive games. Translation issues prevented the game from being localised worldwide - Sega created Japanese and English translations, with Tectoy translating the game into Portuguese for the Brazilian market. As such, there was no official pan-European localisation of Phantasy Star II - only English language versions were released in that region.
Due to its perceived difficulty, the US and UK versions shipped with a map and 110-page hint book.
Phantasy Star II has been re-released numerous times through compilations, including Sega Ages Phantasy Star Collection (1998), Sega Smash Pack (1999), Sega Smash Pack Volume 1 (2001), Phantasy Star Collection (2003), Sega Mega Drive Collection (2006), Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 32: Phantasy Star Complete Collection (2008) and Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection (2008). Emulated versions were also released for the Wii's Virtual Console service, Xbox Live Arcade, Steam and iOS. The iOS version was removed from sale on iTunes in 2015.
Phantasy Star II's success led to eight Phantasy Star II text adventure games across 1991 for the Sega Game Toshokan service. It has also led to multiple sequels, most notably Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom and Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium.
Naflign's Ego, discontent with the official English localisation, created a precise fan translation of the game in 2000. The game has also been translated into other languages (such as German, French and Spanish) by fans.
- The volume of drums heard in almost all of the background music has been lowered for the western releases.
- Virtual Console release changed hospital icon from cross into "H" and removed little red cross from the doctor's suit in a close-up picture.
- Main article: Phantasy Star II/Changelog.
|2.0.0||4.6MB||2012-11-30||iOS 6 Support.|||
|Language||Localised Name||English Translation|
|English||Phantasy Star II||Phantasy Star II|
|English (US)||Phantasy Star II||Phantasy Star II|
|Japanese||Phantasy Star II: Kaerazaru Toki no Owari ni (ファンタシースターII 還らざる時の終わりに)|
- Written and Directed by: Chiemshi
- Assistant Director: Psyche
- Art Director: Chaotickaz
- Character Design: Yoshibon
- Mechanical Design: JudyTotoya
- Designers: Phoenix Rie, Choko, BigIsland, Ichiemon, Wakasama, Stresteless, Yonesan, Gen
- Musical Composer: Bo
- Sound Effects: Nav, Tarnya
- Assistant Programmer: Tapkara Sat
- Software Programmer: Com Blue
- Produced and Programmed by: Muuuu Yuji
- Presented by: Sega
- Source: In-game credits
- Main article: Phantasy Star II/Magazine articles.
also published in:
Mega Drive version
|Sega Retro Average|
| Based on|
Virtual Console version
- Sega of Japan Virtual Console pages: Mega Drive
- Nintendo catalogue pages: US, AU
- Phantasy Star II on Xbox Marketplace: JP, US, UK, AU, KR
- Phantasy Star II on iTunes: JP, US, UK
- Phantasy Star II on Steam
- Phantasy Star II on Google Play (offline)
- Official website on PuyoSega.com (Japanese)
- Phantasy Star II section at Phantasy Star Cave
- File:CGW US 076.pdf, page 86
- File:VG&CE US 11.pdf, page 106
- File:CVG UK 120.pdf, page 83
- https://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/vc/software/06.html (archived: 2018-03-05 22:42)
- http://vc.sega.jp:80/vc_ps2/ (archived: 2008-01-28 17:24)
- http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/6MEG9n3AG43MQkoT6EjvTR4eIKse6fts (archived: 2010-11-23 02:22)
- http://www.nintendolife.com/games/megadrive/phantasy_star_ii (archived: 2017-06-25 04:51)
- http://www.nintendo.com.au/index.php?action=catalogue&prodcat_id=41&prod_id=19757&pageID=4 (archived: 2012-03-28 00:25)
- http://marketplace.xbox.com:80/de-DE/Product/Phantasy-Star-II/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584109a5 (archived: 2011-06-23 00:50)
- http://marketplace.xbox.com:80/en-US/Product/Phantasy-Star-II/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584109a5 (archived: 2010-12-03 20:31)
- http://marketplace.xbox.com:80/en-GB/Product/Phantasy-Star-II/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584109a5 (archived: 2011-11-28 22:26)
- http://marketplace.xbox.com:80/en-GB/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584109a5/ (archived: 2009-06-14 08:16)
- http://marketplace.xbox.com/ja-jp/Product/Phantasy-Star-II/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584109a5 (archived: 2018-06-17 02:36)
- http://marketplace.xbox.com:80/ja-JP/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584109a5/ (archived: 2009-08-19 14:31)
- http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-au/Product/Phantasy-Star-II/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584109a5 (archived: 2018-06-17 02:34)
- http://marketplace.xbox.com/ko-kr/Product/Phantasy-Star-II/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584109a5 (archived: 2018-06-17 02:35)
- http://www.xbox.com/ko-KR/games/p/phantasystarIIxboxlivearcade/ (archived: 2010-03-08 17:27)
- http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/phantasy-star-ii/id382953129?mt=8 (archived: 2010-08-30 22:22)
- http://blogs.sega.com/2010/08/26/segas-back-to-school-iphone-sale/ (archived: 2017-11-25 19:32)
- http://www.4gamer.net/games/118/G011899/ (archived: 2010-09-06 06:14)
- http://sega.jp/kt/apple/ps2/ (archived: 2011-05-10 23:41)
- http://www.4gamer.net:80/games/118/G011899/ (archived: 2010-09-06 06:14)
- http://steamdb.info/app/211203/ (archived: 2013-05-22 19:21)
- https://steamdb.info/app/211203/ (archived: 2017-05-23 20:55)
- http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/18/8622645/sega-pulls-games-from-itunes-app-store-google-play (archived: 2017-11-08 17:39)
- http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/phantasy-star-ii/id382953129?mt=8 (archived: 2014-10-25 09:32)
- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/phantasy-star-ii/id382953129?mt=8 (archived: 2018-09-15 21:42)
- File:GamePro US 009.pdf, page 49
- File:GamePlayers US 0203.pdf, page 11
- File:EGM US 010.pdf, page 9
- File:EGM US 011.pdf, page 9
- File:ACE UK 37.pdf, page 91
- File:BeepMD_JP_1990-02.pdf, page 71
- File:SSM_JP_19950901_1995-09.pdf, page 85
- File:CGtC UK 04.pdf, page 34
- File:Generation4 FR 030.pdf, page 98
- File:Joystick FR 010.pdf, page 98
- File:MegaTech UK 01.pdf, page 79
- File:PlayerOne FR 007.pdf, page 24
- File:Raze UK 06.pdf, page 34
- File:SegaPro UK 05.pdf, page 21
|Phantasy Star II|