History of Sega in Switzerland
From Sega Retro
This teeny-tiny article needs some work. You can help us by expanding it.
|History of Sega in Switzerland|
|Official Sega distributor(s): Logicosoftware SA (1987-1988), Videophon (1988-2002), Sega Germany (2005-2012), Koch Media (2012-present)|
In the 70s Switzerland was one of the countries where Sega imported its game machines.
Lausanne-based Logicosoftware SA released the Sega Master System in Switzerland in 1987. The console was promoted in French-language journal Micro News.
In 1988, the distribution was taken over by Videophon, which was long term distributor of Sega in Switzerland. They released all consoles from Mega Drive to Dreamcast.
In January 1996, TCI's technology group got the rights to distribute Sega Channel in Switzerland, but it isn't known that the service was launched there.
The last Sega console was relased on October 14,1999 as in the rest of Europe. In the first day, Videophon sold 3000 units of Dreamcast and until the end of 1999, over 20000 units.
Dreamcast Internet was supposed to be carried on by Sunrise and it was planned to launch it in February 2000. At the end, Dreamcast Internet was launched in December 2000.
Videophon ended cooperation with Sega in 2002. Sega Europe returned in April 2005 and representative, as in the rest of the German-speaking countries, was Sega Germany with Maxupport as customer service.Following restructuring in 2012 Sega Europe handed over Swiss distribution to Koch Media.
- ↑ File:Sega_Company_Profile_1970.pdf
- ↑ Micro News, "Juillet/Août 1988" (FR; 1988-xx-xx), page 63
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20010429224346fw_/http://www.videophon.ch/Firma.htm
- ↑ https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?threads/more-sega-channel-prototypes-dumped.25935/page-11#post-833889
- ↑ https://www.letemps.ch/no-section/suisse-3000-exemplaires-dreamcast-ont-vendus-premier-jour
- ↑ https://www.letemps.ch/no-section/console-dreamcast-ne-fonctionne-qua-moitie-desespoir-sapin
- ↑ https://techmonitor.ai/technology/sega_to_build_internet_access_into_dreamcast
- ↑ https://www.pressetext.com/news/20001205075
- ↑ http://www.sega-portal.de/interview-mit-markus-lorenz-wiedemann/feature/9/
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20081218103638/http://www.sega.com:80/support/
- ↑ https://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/6/28/3123317/sega-shutting-down-offices-throughout-europe